Http://www tomshardware com/forum/50988-3-consequences-higher-refresh-rates-crts

LarryC58

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hello,
I am unsure of what terminology to use - but maybe if I describe the issue, you may recognise what I am talking about:
I have a new 32" LCD HD (1920x1080) and a new 46" LCD HD (1920 x1080)TV. (Both are Samsungs).
Challenge is that they both appear to occasionally suffer from what appears to be when half the screen 'refreshes' and the other half does not. For example when a close up of a face is on screen it appears if the right side of the face moves at a different speed to the left side. This does not happen when DVD or Blurays are played only during transmission - and then mostly that transmission via a cable box and not via a free to air antenna.
Any thoughts?

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Take the cable box back for replacement(exchange) sounds like the box is having trouble up converting 720p to 1080I.
Does it happen on all the channels? Say for instance a known HD program such as the NFL compared to one that may not be broadcast HD.

LarryC58

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Hi - thanks for reply.
Problem only seems to be visible in movies when a face makes up most of the screen. Not saying it does not happen in other situations - just seems to be most apparent here.
The TV I am referring to where it is more noticeable is only connected to a cable box and does not receive free to air broadcast.
The other piece of info that may be of value to you is that the cable box is connected to the TV via a SCART (sic?) cable and then into the 3 AV plugs (on the TV) and not an HDMI.