humming sound when line-in being used

Chow15

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014
Alright so let me explain the setup I currently have and the issue I am facing.

So, I have a soundblaster x-fi 5.1 pro as my soundcard. I have my headset plugged into it for my PC audio and the line-in being plugged into it for my xbox 360 sound. I did this because I didnt want to unplug and replug my headset into different spots when I want to flip on my xbox, as I use it often. This setup grants my xbox sound aswell as my pc sounds to be played into my headset at the same time, which I want.

Now the issue I am facing is that once I start turning up my sound I get a humming noise that gets progressively louder as the sound gets louder. I have concluded that it when the line-in is plugged in, theres a humming sound and once its removed, the humming sound ends. I absolutely want this line-in plugged into my card for ease of access but I do not want this humming sound to continue, does anyone have any fixes?

Solution
I suggest trying another adapter when you can if the wires are all properly inserted. I haven't heard about or experienced the X360 humming from the RCA jacks yet, so it shouldn't be that.
Hello.

The issue seems to lie with your XBOX 360 wiring or adapters. Usually, you should have no humming with this setup. How are you wired? Directly from the white/red cables of the X360 into a RCA to 3.5mm adapter? Please tell us more about your X360 setup.

If you have a single ground wire that is broken, or a bad connection, you will get humming. If you have another adapter, I suggest using it instead to confirm.

Chow15

Estimable
Dec 16, 2014

Thats exactly the setup, I can buy new wires pretty easily so I could test that theory when I get the chance to run to the store