Hypercardioid /parabolic mic with wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet Sherman

Estimable
Mar 27, 2014
Hi, I'd like to hang microphone out my deck (high) to pick up ocean waves over a potential noisy road (*hwy 101).
Ocean is appro 1/2 to 1 mile away. Road is appro 1/8 to 1/2 mile.
I'd like to receive sound from mic via wireless, but could have a cable come into house.
I'd like to make it weather resistant.
what system is best? Thank you

bambiboom

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Janet Sherman,

There are a number of potential components needed and the way to do it depends on the sound quality expected- the use- and the budget. Some questions : Is this to be a permanent, testing, for sound effects use? Are you recording to a hard drive or DAT or real time? Do you have a microphone preamp? The quality of the sound expected is important as waves crashing produce both extremely low frequencies- the impact of the wave is very deep, but the rushing sound is very high. The problem is that the high frequencies of highway noise are very similar to waves.

Also, is the recording position elevated? If you are inland from PCH and in a fairly dense traffic position, for example Malibu, and recording over traffic, a hypercardioid may not exclude enough of the traffic from your distance. If you are in Carmel Highlands /Big Sur, chances are probably better. Closer and higher with less traffic will all help.

I've designed a number of houses on the beach along PCH and having spent time in those places, it seems to me that anywhere on the inland side will be difficult to separate the sounds, especially with high amplification.

Interesting project though!

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Janet Sherman

Estimable
Mar 27, 2014
These are terrific questions
I am seeking enjoyment of ocean sounds, but they are not to be recorded. VERY similar I'd say to highlands of Carmel, but lower car density, even. The big sound to overcome is that of semi truck sound, which can be loud, as home is on ridge by a down hill ( East of big Sur hwy to be the analogy, with a semi breaking, interrupting the peace).

I can put any preamp that might help. My solution at present is what comes from this forum. I don't want to spend over 2hundred, but maybe i will have to. I am certainly high enough that I can likely point a parabolic mic to the ocean without truck space being included, if a parabolic dish really does help to filter the lower levels.

I'm on a high ridge, with hwy below and ocean crashing beyond.

Janet Sherman

Estimable
Mar 27, 2014
Another thought: Perhaps I can put a microphone in a hidden rain/weather protected spot, then pick up the beach waves from a receiver. If this is the case, then I can't "plugin" the transmitter, but instead must rely on batteries. Moreover, I'd need a wireless transmitter that picks up the signal which might not be easily captured, since the beach itself isn't viewed from where a receiver is going to be! Ugh. I'm thinking there is no solution, now.?!?

bambiboom

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Janet Sherman,

I had the same thought that a remote location broadcast from the beach would be the best solution, but I think it would be expensive and impractical for the reason you mention- that of the power supply. Of course, if you knew someone with property on the beach, that might be a possibility, unless they were concerned they might be accidentally bugged.

Looking a bit into parabolic reflectors,"shotgun" microphones, and wifi transmitters, it is possible, but I think any level of good sound quality will be significantly over the budget.

One other thought was to test drive the idea and if you are near LA or SF, rent the stuff from a movie rental. At one time I thought of getting some expensive tube microphones and was going to rent them first. This is not usually cheap to do, but might be a savings in the long term.

The idea is a very good and how much more intriguing it is than buying a nature recording. I used to play a recording of thunderstorms, and it was a good recording and textured arrangement of sounds, but knowing it is a broadcast of a storm happening at that moment would be much better.

Perhaps there is the equivalent of a webcam but instead a "web microphone" of the surf sound. Might be a good way of "virtual travel"- "I think today I'll spend time at the beach in Japan. Friday in Scotland."

Cheers,

BambiBoom

Music System > HP Elite M9426F, Core 2 Quad Q6600, 8GB RAM, Radeon 6450, WD 750 GB, EMU 0404 PCI, Cakewalk XL2> Garritan Steinway D, Hauptwerk 4 ( virtual pipe organ) > 2- Neumann KM184, Peavey VMP-2 vacuum tube microphone preamp > Audio Research LS3 / D130 / Sennheiser HD 280Pro /Infinity 360 playback > Kawai KG5 (6'8"), Zuckermann Flemish single harpsichord, Zuckermann "King of Sweden clavichord, Juan Eustrech 1975 (classical guitar), Yamaha S90 (synthesizer)

Janet Sherman

Estimable
Mar 27, 2014
Well, I'd love to say I lived nearby LA or the like, but I don't.
And like you, the recording won't do it for me. I want to see the water hit the rock and the sound in my ear! So with that, even a nearby home on the west side would not do it for my esthetics. There is a great differences in wave action vary from cove to cove... incredibly unique "cell" in activity across the coastline.

Now I have thought of another idea and it MIGHT work if I am able to find a spot along a hillside where not getting car noise but only ocean noise: I could set up a solar panel to battery operate the transmitter.

Let us say I solve that part, and like a gate opener, I solar power my transmitter. Any idea of a receiver that would be the pick up of sound about 3/4 mi away? That is -- is there a ghz type that would do it? I'm really not knowledgeable about any of this.

YES, why isn't there a sound-cam rather than a webcam? I have been pondering this question of sound for awhile. My husband, for a special request Christmas present, bought me a baby monitor for the outdoor birds. Incredible... I have a monitor and it is on and still running after 3 years, with perfect sounds of yard birds (one problem solved, incredibly cheaply --$39.99... like a Timex it is!)

But the Ocean sound, as it is farther away and between some intermittent road disturbance, is more of a bear. So now though --if I could solve the transmitter power with a solar powered battery -- then I just need a receiver! Any help with that would be terrific.

Enjoy the travels
Janet

Offie Wortham

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
I am getting ready to form a company that will produce a device that will transmit ocean waves and bird sounds into your home in stereo. It will cost less than $200 and the receiver will have output jacks for miniature earphones, RCA jacks and UBS. I have not decided on the microphone or transmitters yet. They will be battery operated with two solar panels. It will be weather resistant. Unless I can find a manufacturer in the USA it will probably be made in China. We are getting ready to build some prototypes within the next few months. Anyone who is seriously interested in being a part of this company should send an email to Dr. Wortham...Email address:ITXINC at Yahoo.com.

Ie7ywJG.jpg

This thread is over 6 years old.

Closing.
Wolfshadw

Status
Not open for further replies.