I’ve started sim racing on Meta Quest 3 and I’ll never go back — here’s why

Feb 9, 2024
I'm so tempted, just need the PC 😃 but motion sickness is no joke and really important you mentioned that.

Feb 21, 2024
I have to admit sim racing has been one of the biggest things I miss since loosing both legs due to sepsis. I've only just started to use my vr again in the past few months and I thought about getting back in to it and due to the cost of a modified racing wheel (just wheel not the wheel base) I'm looking at over £500 then add a good wheel base its well over £1200 but hopefully in the future I'll be able to get back in to it as I miss it so much and might be able to watch the btcc again as it makes me want to do it more and more 😆

RobFisher11

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I'm so tempted, just need the PC 😃 but motion sickness is no joke and really important you mentioned that.
You can train yourself out of motion sickness. I gave up on sim racing because of it, until I read an article explaining how to cure it.

Most important point: don't power through it. First minor symptom like feeling weirdly hot: stop. Your brain can very quickly associate the VR headset with feeling ill and you won't even be able to look at it.

Training: take a week. Drive an oval slowly in a car with a roof. Do laps until you feel weird. Repeat the next day. You'll go further. When you feel ready, introduce a track with twists and turns. Gradually increase speed. Tracks with undulations and cats without a roof make it worse, so save those for last. And find the game setting that locks the horizon. Eating ginger biscuits helps. I can now do an evening of practicing and a race no problem.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
You do not need a cable to connect your MQ3 to a PC as long as you have wifi6 or better. I play Alyx and many other game on my Quest3 on wifi without any issue at all.

pr1970

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I due to the cost of a modified racing wheel (just wheel not the wheel base) I'm looking at over £500 then add a good wheel base its well over £1200 but
Sorry to hear your illness has stopped you enjoying sim racing. why don’t you look at a fanatec wheel base and an McLaren GT3 wheel that has analogue controllers on the wheel for throttle and brake? I have both although haven’t tried the analog setting.
Could probably find base and wheel used for under £500.

pr1970

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I use to get terrible vr sickness but found sim racing something that I wasn’t too bad with as you are sat in a cockpit. I bought a £10 usb fan and stuck it on top of my steering base to blow air into my face when racing . It helped believe it or not. Just take it in small steps, 15mins racing and stop , then next day again slowly increasing time.

Reactions: d0x360

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
Remote desktop running on PC and quest over wifi using av1 @ 120 mbps generally always provides a superior experience to a link cable though wifi6 or better may be required but it won't hurt to test on something lower provided signal isn't an issue and even on WiFi6 you should have the PC wired to the router. It uses the encoder in a 4000 series GPU to do av1 but I think the 3000 series supports is as well and the dual encoders in a 3070 should be more than sufficient to handle transcoding the video with av1 and using 120 mbps makes sure image quality is uncompromised.

I've been using remote desktop since the Rift S or perhaps the original Rift.. it's hard to remember really but the main benefit even back then was oddly better performance in steam vr vs native oculus (meta uhg) software. I definitely used it with my Quest 2 starting immediately, I've had WiFi6e for years now and then when I got the quest 3 shortly after it launched I started using it on that and I've never had an issue despite my router being 20ish feet away and behind 2 walls... I have a high end pc though and a really high end router.

Ryzen 7950x3d CCD0 @ 5.2ghz CCD1 @ 5.9ghz
32 gigs DDR5 @ 6600mhz CL20
RTX 4090 +240 core +1100 mem
ROG Crosshair x670e Extreme
4 Samsung 990 pro m. 2's (1 for windows, 3 for games)
8TB Seagate barracuda storage drive
4x1TB RAID SATA3 WD SSD's for swap and video editing/storage/playback.

Its almost time for Zen6! I'm an addict I need help lol...

d0x360

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2016
I use to get terrible vr sickness but found sim racing something that I wasn’t too bad with as you are sat in a cockpit. I bought a £10 usb fan and stuck it on top of my steering base to blow air into my face when racing . It helped believe it or not. Just take it in small steps, 15mins racing and stop , then next day again slowly increasing time.

Yeah my wife had vr sickness within a couple of min in most games thankfully I never have... Iron stomach I guess. We eventually solved the issue by making sure she only played games in a high frame rate (90fps-120fps) that didn't fluctuate a lot. Then we started with her playing till basically right before she thought she would get sick then she took a 15 min break and went back in. It took about 3 weeks and maybe 4 days per week a couple hours a day but now she's fine so there is always hope!

Feb 21, 2024
Sorry to hear your illness has stopped you enjoying sim racing. why don’t you look at a fanatec wheel base and an McLaren GT3 wheel that has analogue controllers on the wheel for throttle and brake? I have both although haven’t tried the analog setting.
Could probably find base and wheel used for under £500.
Hi thanks for the recommendation, I've not seen that wheel with the analogue controllers I think that will be perfect, think it's time to ask for more hours at work to fund it 😆 thanks so much hope I can get one sooner rather than later 🤞