I always have to restart Asus in order to use it?

Romanova

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
My computer is about 2 1/2 years old, it's a Windows 10 Asus Notebook PC, and I recently had a total factory reset on it. I left it with Geek Squad at Best Buy because I couldn't do it myself, but after I got it back I noticed the power wasn't working right.

Here's what I've been seeing:

- Whenever I'm done using it, I shut it down by going into the left toolbar thing (don't know what it's called) and pressing "Shut Down".
- It doesn't completely shut down. The two lights on the front (Light bulb & Battery) stay on and act like I didn't shut the computer off.
- If I try turning it back on with a quick press to the power button on the side, it does nothing. Sometimes the hard drive light flashes when I press the button, but I haven't tested this enough to see if that means anything.
- If I hold the power button down for say, 10 seconds, it turns off completely. The lights go away. Then if I tap it once more the computer will turn on and it'll be completely normal.

Other things:
- If I put the computer in sleep mode, pressing space bar, tapping the power button, etc. won't make it turn back on again. It's like it doesn't register that it's still on.

Any ideas or solutions as to what I can do?

Solution
OK Try these steps and see if it helps resolve your problem....

1. Run "Windows Update".

If #1 doesn't fix the problem, try the steps 2-6...

2. Go to "Control Panel" and then select "Trouble Shooting".

3. On this screen, under System and Security, click "Fix Problems with Windows Update".

4. Now click "Trouble Shoot as an Administrator".

5.If there were issues, this should fix them. You will then see a green circle with a check mark saying it was fixed.

6.You can now exit this screen, restart the laptop and wait to see if it still has a shut down issue.

If the issue persists, try the steps 7-9...

7. In "Control Panel", then "Trouble Shooting" and finally "System and Security".

8. Here you want to click "Run Maintenance...
OK Try these steps and see if it helps resolve your problem....

1. Run "Windows Update".

If #1 doesn't fix the problem, try the steps 2-6...

2. Go to "Control Panel" and then select "Trouble Shooting".

3. On this screen, under System and Security, click "Fix Problems with Windows Update".

4. Now click "Trouble Shoot as an Administrator".

5.If there were issues, this should fix them. You will then see a green circle with a check mark saying it was fixed.

6.You can now exit this screen, restart the laptop and wait to see if it still has a shut down issue.

If the issue persists, try the steps 7-9...

7. In "Control Panel", then "Trouble Shooting" and finally "System and Security".

8. Here you want to click "Run Maintenance tasks" and then "Trouble Shoot as an Administrator".

9. Again if fixed, close the window, and try shutting down the laptop to see if will shut down correclty now.

If it is still not fixed, try steps 10-11...

CAUTION: READ THIS VERY CAREFULLY. You may want to have pen and paper handy to write down those Apps and/or programs that may well be deleted and you may need to redownload/reinstall. If you do not feel comfortable with these steps, try skipping on to 12-19 to try them first. If they do not fix the problem, then come back to 10-11.

NOTE: These steps may take quite a while to complete, to be patient.

10. Go to Windows "Search" and type in "Reset this PC". (Without the quotes.)
11. You should see it at the top of the list.

If this doesn't fix the problem then you may want to consider having the device looked at by a professional.

CAUTION: These options are a tad more invoved and go deeper into your computer. If you don't feel comfortable doing them yourself, then I suggest you seek assistance. The upside, versus 10-11, no programs/apps will be removed.

12. Go to Windows "Search" and type in "msconfig". (Without the quotes.)
13. Click to open "msconfig". It should show at the top of the list.
14. Here click on the "Services" tab".
15. On the bottom left of the window you should see "Hide all Microsoft services". Check the box next to it.
16. Next you want to 'uncheck' any/all 3rd party programs. Anything that you installed, or had someone install for you, on the laptop.
17. DO NOT uncheck "Intel", "NVIDIA" or "AMD" services.
18. Now click "OK".
19. Finally choose to shut down the computer, and see how long it takes.

If this resolves the problem, you are then going to have to do the same (12-19), but in reverse, to turn on all the services you turned off. Be sure you don't turn them all on at once. This will leave you still not knowing which one is the culprit.

Repeat steps 12-19 to turn each 3rd part program back on, until you get to the one that causes the problem again. Once you have found the offending program, you can uninstall it.

Solution