I am almost dumb.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
I have stayed away from complicated phones because I hate tiny things. Computers and Laptops wonderful. -- but I am getting left behind....

A purchase question ? For under $400.00 ? I try to buy things a little beyond too simple. Even a camera is desirable. O-I have stand-alone cameras and good ones but a problem ? Try to take indoor photos. Outdoor in urban areas somebody will come running out to break your bones. (vs. an almost hidden phone)

International UNLOCKED. A potential problem. Cell Phones communicate via old fashioned radio waves. If the frequency is off no luck. There are various frequency ranges in various places reserved for phone usage. Even 5g I believe is in a new 'area'. I have little interest in 5g but if wi-fi is 5g ?

These international phones. Do they use the same frequency ranges common in USA ? I do not care much about the different carriers BUT to use wi-fi or connect to my own computer. (and my own router works at a certain frequency.

My only interest is using wi-fi or connecting to my own computer. DUMP the phone bills.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just to be clear, you want a phone to make calls via your home wi-fi network or computer only?

Also, 5G (as in 5th generation) cellular comms is not the same as 5Ghz wi-fi frequencies. Two completely different things.

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
ve a
Just to be clear, you want a phone to make calls via your home wi-fi network or computer only?

Also, 5G (as in 5th generation) cellular comms is not the same as 5Ghz wi-fi frequencies. Two completely different things.

grrr wrote a long post and it vanished and yet to SAVE...

I wish to use public WI-FI at most any place. I subscribe to INTERNET via my cable company. You get a router that puts out ETHERNET or my own WI-FI I guess you would call it. I have yet to use a phone to access my computer and have to study that.

So my computer or public wi-fi.

I was looking at phones under say $400 and some popular ones in low 300's or 200's

I do not need to buy a phone that is unusable.

I see money saved by buying an INTERNATIONAL version of phone and UNLOCKED of coarse. BUT it could be useless if it does not match where in USA the cell phones operate in the radio frequency spectrum.

I do pay for a low cost cell phone via AT &T that only sends phone calls and receives such. I wish to avoid these large phone bills.

Again...INTERNATIONAL UNLOCKED PHONES but do they work in USA ? The radio spectrum used here... (I never studied this yet)

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
I have not checked what bands are used for cell phones (USA) or forget what my router puts out

Not buying anything yet I am sitting on a small collection of Amazon FIRE old phones. 2 of the HD10 one. Bought at some sale a few years ago. See they quit making phones. It says on packaging DUAD BANK AC WI-FI.

I bought a FIRE TV and amazing what it gets free vs. paying your stupid cable company. (off subject !!!!)

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
So you want to make free phone calls without subscribing to a cellular provider?

Something like this? https://voice.google.com/about

Not a priority. (phone calls) I assume there are ways using some applications.

Again...Internet...My Computer(s)

Wonder why no other answers. If different parts of the world have different places (radio frequency spectrum) for cell phones a phone might be worthless in USA. Technical----a phone I assume has a little antenna in it and that antenna has to be tuned properly. If phones in Begaland used 2.3 ghz and 5.1 ghz the antenna would be tuned for that and trying to alter things the antenna would be off. I'v gotta figure out where wi-fi is (on the rf spectrum) and my computer router. I think these routers are somewhere around 2gz and 5 gz ? With better antennas (also booster amps) I could increase the range of my computer router.

UNLOCKED INTERNATIONAL PHONES are much less expensive.

O-just saw it now--the link you left.. Thank You....

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The frequencies used for cellular service are different than used for wi-fi connections. Apples vs. oranges comparison.

Regarding international vs. US cellular frequency ranges, there are some differences, but there is also a lot of overlap. So compatibility is usually not an issue.

To connect your PC directly to a cellular network, you would need a different device than the one you use to connect to a home/office/free wi-fi network. Then, that device would have to be authorized to connect to the cellular network (valid account/SIM/service agreement).

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
I am semi-dumb as I have never been into phones.

I am getting left behind.

A Question I have asked in internet phone forums. NO ANSWERS.

An international unblocked phone is less expensive. Right ? I want the phone just for WI-FI or connecting to my own computers. I hate to feed money to the phone companies. (spend some time in a retail phone company location !!! People spending fortunes !!!)
-- BUT an international phone might have different phone frequency locations ?? Buy something worthless ? Anybody help with what to look for as to USA Phone Bands ? Even this 5G. Maybe not important now but in future years ? INTERNATIONAL UNLOCKED

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
The wi-fi used by an international phone will work just fine with your US-based wi-fi network. No issues there at all.

You are overthinking this.

OK..thanks

I was thinking unlocked international as less expensive. I only want it for WI-FI and my computers and very important--the CAMERA.

I am a picture nut and sit on cameras BUT the problem ? In an urban area taking pictures will result in people running to break your bones. Also indoor shots. A phone would go over better as a terrible device. Many think a picture is illegal but at least from public property zilch.

Spending up to $400 do not want something unusable.

OK..thanks

I was thinking unlocked international as less expensive. I only want it for WI-FI and my computers and very important--the CAMERA.

I am a picture nut and sit on cameras BUT the problem ? In an urban area taking pictures will result in people running to break your bones. Also indoor shots. A phone would go over better as a terrible device. Many think a picture is illegal but at least from public property zilch.

Spending up to $400 do not want something unusable.

International phones are usually cheaper but they also don't have a warranty on them from most that I have seen.

Motorola G8 is a good cheaper phone with a good camera, will work on networks like ATT, T-Mobile, Metro https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Dua...=Motorola+Moto+G8+Power&qid=1646240380&sr=8-3

Higher end camera right at $400 would be the Samsung 10e

Pixel 4a has a good camera and is pretty cheap but they have more screen issues than other brands from reports.

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
International phones are usually cheaper but they also don't have a warranty on them from most that I have seen.

Motorola G8 is a good cheaper phone with a good camera, will work on networks like ATT, T-Mobile, Metro https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Dua...=Motorola+Moto+G8+Power&qid=1646240380&sr=8-3

Higher end camera right at $400 would be the Samsung 10eA

Pixel 4a has a good camera and is pretty cheap but they have more screen issues than other brands from reports.
OK..thanks all... I will study the replies....

If one likes to take pictures only natural to wonder about the camera. In years past people used their phone with its camera and thought they were getting excellent pictures. Look at specs !!! Maybe something might look good small on a phone but---

Now it does seem the phone cameras have much better specs. Some of specs do not make much sense like 100 mp or something odd. With a camera at present I did not look up MP of recent but if not say 12mp or higher one gets grainy pictures. I presume cameras now at 20mp or maybe higher. Look at old phone specs..2mp ??!!!

I got too swift and ordered a phone yesterday.

Samsung Galaxy A52s A528B 5G Dual 128GB 6GB RAM Factory Unlocked (GSM Only |

Maybe a mistake. I just thought it was a common phone. I can buy others but am not rich. (somebody should always have a back-up like only one computer ? A glitch ?

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
The Motorola camera..
  • 16 MP, F/2.0, (Wide), 1.0µm, PDAF 2 MP, F/2.4, (Macro) 2 MP, F/2.4, (Depth), Front: 8 MP, F/2.0, (Wide), 1.12µm
16 mp takes good pictures if that is all the matters.

I posted my original question in various forums on the web and not one answer. So that is why I jumped so fast.

I snooped my collections here and noticed I sit on an Amazon HD 10 phone. I notice the store STAPLES still sells the model. I bought mine a few years ago on Black Friday. Forgot about it. I see Amazon quit phones/tablets though. Thing about Amazon everything everything you do they are trying to sell you something.

A question:: Reason I have stayed away from phones I hate tiny things. Have to use a stylus and errors errors errors

BUT if a phone has a big enough screen it is almost like a laptop computer as to ease of usage. A recommendation of a phone with a large screen and of coarse the good camera.? Everybody needs a back-up phone. (I have bookmarked the prior posts about phone suggestions)That phone I ordered the camera

cameras 48p+8p+5p+2p

Don't know what that means but... Have not gotten the phone yet so assume I could return.

Took out the Amazon Fire HD 10 phone and fired it up and it is downloading all kinds of updates. The camera on it stinks. BUT forgot I even had it....

Recent bought an Amazon Fire TV and amazed how much you can see just with free stuff. I'd guess the stuff comes in via my 'internet router. Pay for internet but no as to tv from the cable company.-

Last edited:

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
So you want to make free phone calls without subscribing to a cellular provider?

Something like this? https://voice.google.com/about

O-a ps...I think I said I found I was sitting on an Amazon Fire Tablet never used. My error if it is not a phone. As said..I am new to this. The 10 version has a nice large screen so it is nice although years old. My chronic gripe with phones/tablets I hate small things that everything is an error. Stressful... Recommend a new phone/tablet with a large screen and good camera and under $400 I probably go for it. Amazon Fire 10 HD camera stinks.

Sitting in a car with a laptop is a pain so a large 'tablet' might fit the agenda.

shepaug

Great
Feb 12, 2022
The frequencies used for cellular service are different than used for wi-fi connections. Apples vs. oranges comparison.

Regarding international vs. US cellular frequency ranges, there are some differences, but there is also a lot of overlap. So compatibility is usually not an issue.

To connect your PC directly to a cellular network, you would need a different device than the one you use to connect to a home/office/free wi-fi network. Then, that device would have to be authorized to connect to the cellular network (valid account/SIM/service agreement).

OK..thanks again... Yes..some differences... Cellular is the phone and I hate big phone bills. O-well..there are some free ways like the notes on this thread...

Before I am out of money looking for a large tablet..large display..and a good camera..

Those Amazon Fire 10 HD's have a nice 10 inch + display and the phone I ordered mentioned in this thread 6 1/2 inches I believe.

The Amazon things are sold allot of places discounted 2022. They quit the tablet business but guess their tablets still work ok. A larger display wonderful. grr you can even enter words without using a stylus...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS