Solved! I am having issues with my gtx 1060m working in my laptop, any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2020
I recently bought a 2017 razer blade with the intent to game on it in mind, to find out the gpu is not functioning properly. I have been thinking about it and brought it to repair shop after repair shop to tell me what to do. Im quite short on cash, and looking for a cheaper option than selling my kidney for a new motherboard (why does it cost so much). I have fallen to 2 options : wait and save money, then attempt to replace the gpu by desodering it and resodering a new one, or 2 : see if I am missing something maybe a driver issue, or windows 10 being wack. I hope someone can give me a clue of what I can do because I love this laptop, but when the frames dip in minecraft...e

Solution
While you can try updating your drivers, can't hurt, just make sure you are getting the drivers for that device from the manufacturer and not from anywhere else. Just because something says it is new doesn't mean it is right for your device. Best to stick with the correct ones from the manufacturer.

As to what the shop said, they are likely right. You could try another local tech for a second opinion.

Were it me, I would see about returning the device to where ever I got it and get my money back. Then start with a new device. But that is just me.
While you can try updating your drivers, can't hurt, just make sure you are getting the drivers for that device from the manufacturer and not from anywhere else. Just because something says it is new doesn't mean it is right for your device. Best to stick with the correct ones from the manufacturer.

As to what the shop said, they are likely right. You could try another local tech for a second opinion.

Were it me, I would see about returning the device to where ever I got it and get my money back. Then start with a new device. But that is just me.

Solution

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I'm in agreement with webworkings. I would just like to add that it takes an extreme amount of skilled, careful work to replace the GPU chip. If done wrong, the board will be ruined, so I would strongly recommend avoiding this option altogether, unless you can find someone very skilled to do it for you, which will still most likely cost big bucks.

Over my years of purchasing electronics, I've learnt that the very best thing you should do first upon purchasing any device, is to make sure it works exactly as the seller stated. If something then goes wrong after a while, I do everything I can to attempt to get the seller/manufacturer to provide assistance with the issue at hand. Failing that, I then investigate my options of whether I should replace or repair the part, depending on what the costs are for each option.

It's definitely a tough situation facing a gaming laptop with a GPU issue, but I hope our information helps.

P.S.: I reread your (OP's) post and I now wonder about more details of the issue at hand. It would be appreciated if you could elaborate some on this. Bad GPUs usually manifest themselves as anywhere from 3D apps crashing, to artifacting, to random BSODs, or the system not even showing anything at all.

Feb 15, 2020
I'm in agreement with webworkings. I would just like to add that it takes an extreme amount of skilled, careful work to replace the GPU chip. If done wrong, the board will be ruined, so I would strongly recommend avoiding this option altogether, unless you can find someone very skilled to do it for you, which will still most likely cost big bucks.

Over my years of purchasing electronics, I've learnt that the very best thing you should do first upon purchasing any device, is to make sure it works exactly as the seller stated. If something then goes wrong after a while, I do everything I can to attempt to get the seller/manufacturer to provide assistance with the issue at hand. Failing that, I then investigate my options of whether I should replace or repair the part, depending on what the costs are for each option.

It's definitely a tough situation facing a gaming laptop with a GPU issue, but I hope our information helps.

P.S.: I reread your (OP's) post and I now wonder about more details of the issue at hand. It would be appreciated if you could elaborate some on this. Bad GPUs usually manifest themselves as anywhere from 3D apps crashing, to artifacting, to random BSODs, or the system not even showing anything at all.
So I had fell in love with the look of this laptop, but they all cost way to much money, for specs that are useless. So I set out looking for a good deal. I have the mindset of a mechanic, as I have gotten broken items, and repaired them for cheap, so in the ad it deliberately said that the gpu stopped working after he had upgraded to windows 10. Because of my way of thinking, I thought I could just replace the bad part, and have a great deal on my hands. However im constantly being slapped in the face. To elaborate on the issue, device manager should detect a GTX 1060, however it is only detecting Intel 630 graphics. I have tried to install drivers, but nvidia cant install because it doesnt detect it at all

Feb 15, 2020

I had gotten it used and explained how I got here in a different reply. I understand that you said if it were me, but money is the biggest issue here for me, and I dont believe I could sell this for more than I got it, to get a better condition one. There are many cosmetic issues on mine so selling with a bad gpu as well doesnt really add up, thanks for the input though!

racecar56

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
So I had fell in love with the look of this laptop, but they all cost way to much money, for specs that are useless. So I set out looking for a good deal. I have the mindset of a mechanic, as I have gotten broken items, and repaired them for cheap, so in the ad it deliberately said that the gpu stopped working after he had upgraded to windows 10. Because of my way of thinking, I thought I could just replace the bad part, and have a great deal on my hands. However im constantly being slapped in the face. To elaborate on the issue, device manager should detect a GTX 1060, however it is only detecting Intel 630 graphics. I have tried to install drivers, but nvidia cant install because it doesnt detect it at all
(Sorry for my belated reply.) Ah, I see now. Yeah, you definitely have to be careful with that type of thing, I've been burnt like that too real bad as I like fixing computers, but sometimes the problem is far uglier than anticipated. Definitely sounds like a very bad problem with your unit. I'm sorry that happened! :(

But the bright side is that you now know better, so you're less likely to make the same mistake again!

Happy fixing! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.