i cant understand this

Status
Not open for further replies.

djm16385

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
i bought a seagate 500 gig hd 7200 momentus and installed it on my hp dv 8906 laptop with a fresh windows 7 but when i go to device manager it listed af Fujitsu 160 gig hard drive, and of course i cant get the full benefit of the hard drive but i cant understand how can it be that i have a seagate hard drive please help

Strange. First, try and update the driver for it from device manager. Then, go into W7's partition manager (right click my computer, manage, etc...) and see what windows tells you. What is it telling you in the BIOS about the drive?

djm16385

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
the problem is hp bios is locked and very limited options don't have anything regarding hard drive options , i tried to update the drivers and windows 7 said drivers are up to date , i tried to manage and it doesn't give me to do anything with the partition , the strange thing is i tried to intall xp sp3 and it still recognized as fujitsu 160 gigs drive before the installation.

Here's a strange thought: Before you installed the drive, were you sure that it said it was a seagate drive? I ask not to criticize you or anything, it's just that on occasion these days "thieves" will replace the drive with another model in order to steal the better model. I experienced something like that when I bought a V. Raptor last year, as I got the box, but instead I got a maxtor drive from 1999.

adderly

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
well you must everything... in the bios menu change the storage controller(ata/sata-ahci). try that and then install the storage controller program (i think is called matrix something) it must be at the hp drivers...

djm16385

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Thanks for the help problem solved the hard drive was defected , bought in best buy exchanged today and everything seams to work fine. damn seagate hard drive. the first time in my life i came to buying a seagate drive but after installation its a fujistu 160 gig. wow. best buy didnt have western digital 7200 500 gigs hard drives at that moment went with seagate.

Status
Not open for further replies.