I disassembled my Laptop to repair a broken Power Jack .. Now it doesn't start.

apalace

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Hello everyone.
I have a Samsung E252 Laptop, my kids broke the Power-Jack (input cable), it worked till the battery was fully drained, and the charger can't charge it anymore, because the jack-in is broken.
I was going to buy a new one, but I then decided to repair it by myself.. So I bought a power-Jack that fits my laptop.
I disassembled my Laptop and was a bit hard for me doing so, it is my first time disassembling a Laptop.. When I came to the Keyboard part, which I had to remove anyway, I knew I will have a big trouble to put that keyboard back in.. The cable of the data Keyboard and the touch-pad Cable are very short and thin and look like made of nylon or plastic, and they must be put inside a tiny place in the motherboard then pull down a thing to firm the cable in.. I had big trouble to do it since the cables are very short and had to hold the keyboard too close to the motherboard to be able to push the cables inside their places then push that trigger down or whatever it is called, but I wasn't able to push down that trigger with my own fingers, and had to use a long stick, but still didn't success because the trigger that I had to pull down to firm the cable inside its place couldn't be pushed down with the stick, I succeeded once then had to open it again, but after that I couldn't do it anymore..
So I pushed the keyboard's data cable inside but didn't pull the trigger all the way down, I gave up to pull down that.. Besides the Touch-Pad cable was out, I didn't put it inside its place because it was impossible for me (even my kids tried to help me but didn't success).
I connected all other cables back in and fixed that power-jack and assembled the laptop back.

Now the important part: When I try to turn it on after I plug in the power cable, the power-led turns on green (I didn't attach the battery), but when I push the Start button, nothing happens.
I messed a lot with the disassembling because of the keyboard/touch-pad cables issue, so I guess I just destroyed my Laptop, right? Is the trash the new home for it and have to buy a new Laptop? Or is there a way and a hope that it works again without going to a shop to repair it with extra charge?

Thanks to any comment or advise in advance!

Solution
I use a pair of long tweezers with the ends wrapped in scotch tape, which makes the ends of the tweezers less likely to damage the ribbon cable and has the added benefit of adding a little more clamping force. On occasion, when I couldn't reach, a pair of long nosed needle nose pliers with the ends wrapped in scotch tape or packing tape also works fine.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
The thing with laptops is that they don't have the modularity that desktops have. If you take apart a desktop, it's relatively easy to put back together. If you take apart a laptop, the parts needed to make that laptop work are manufactured specifically for that laptop. You have to know exactly what you're doing in order to make it work if you take it apart. I don't want to say that there's no hope for your laptop at the very least you could take it to a repair shop and see what they can do for you. If not, you can always pull your laptop's hard drive out and put it in an external enclosure and then that can be saved.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you have kids, buy a desktop. If something breaks then it's an easy fix. Can't say the same for a laptop

apalace

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Thank you both for your replies.

So you think I should disassemble it again and look for the switch maybe it is disconnected? I remember I connected everything back in except the "Touch-Pad" cable, and the Keyboard Cable may be a loose not firmed tightly. Normally if the keyboard/Touc-Pad isn't connected in a Laptop, will this affect the switching on?

No. If you don't connect the keyboard or touchpad cable, then those won't work, but the unit should at least power on. My guess is that either you didn't install the new power jack correctly, or neglected to fully seat one or more of the connectors. First time laptop disassembles are usually do not go without a hitch of some kind. I'd try it again and if all else fails, find somebody with experience working on laptops. Most likely is the fact that one of he connections was neglected.

apalace

Estimable
Feb 11, 2014
Thank you darkbreeze for the reply.. I managed to open it again, and found that important cable underneath the MB, connected it back and the laptop starts again.
Now the problem is, how to re-connect the keyboard ribbon cable back in when it is that short and my hand can't slide between the keyboard and the main laptop-case? Also the same with the touch-pad ribbon cable which I guess I damaged it while trying many times to reconnect it back using the metal thin stick. Very frustrating this ribbon cables (very short).

I use a pair of long tweezers with the ends wrapped in scotch tape, which makes the ends of the tweezers less likely to damage the ribbon cable and has the added benefit of adding a little more clamping force. On occasion, when I couldn't reach, a pair of long nosed needle nose pliers with the ends wrapped in scotch tape or packing tape also works fine.

Solution