I Hated Time Warner Cable, But I Came Back for Spectrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

DasLooney

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't let your guard down yet. When I was with TWC, they constantly got my bill wrong and I had to fight various overbills up until I finally pulled the plug. After they switched & became Spectrum I got their $44.99 100Mbps Internet service and everything was well. Now, 4 months into a year contract they're charging me and EVERYONE ELSE that uses that service an extra $5/mo despite being locked into a lower rate for a year.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Oof. I'm somewhat banking on the Triple Play package helping me there, and I'll monitor my bill. They claim that I'll only see a 10$ bump after the first year and a slightly larger bump after the second. But you know, DTASP: Don't Trust Any Service Providers.

sashaglass

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Spectrum is worse than TWC - they are taking a step backwards from a tech standpoint - whole house DVR is gone. They are running down the intelligent home program, sticking me with $1000s of home security gear that might not work in the future, while lying to me and saying that it won't/can't work with any other service.

The WORST is that they will not sell my Grandfather the discounted internet that they promised regulators would be available to the elderly and low-income despite the fact that they are more than happy to sell him full-priced internet.

I am a Title II supporter, but if the cable companies do not want to be common carriers, then I will tear down the pole in my backyard and they can figure out how to distribute their services without relying on imminent domain claims.

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

Yeah, I didn't mention a whole house sharing the same DVR thing, but it's a slightly annoying thing to me too. Unfortunately/fortunately, I don't really know the other things that you're mentioning. Sounds terrible, and like a good justification to make it so that consumers get more choice and aren't just stuck with one option.

philip_55

Prominent
May 1, 2017
Yeah spectrum is a lot worse than Time Warner, they are now raising the rates of our service here in Louisville area 35%. Yeah "its a new day" ha, that ad cracks me up a new day to screw over the customers with higher prices more like!!

chrissyny21

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I understand your point of view and that it is precisely one man's opinion. However, the mogul that is Spectrum is currently a monopolizer of the cable system in New York City. As a company that is now starting since its merger with Time Warner last year, it is just trying to acquire more customers. Don't be fooled.
Currently 1800 of its union employees are on strike in NYC because the decision to sign a contract where workers would receive pension and benefits through their union is not being accepted by spectrum. Therefore they have been bringing in out of state Contracted workers to perform the jobs of the NY trained techs and engineers. Spectrum has not been treating their employees well in this regard. It has been 5 weeks and although it is claimed that they are willing to come to the table they are not willing to change their policies on how the employees are dealt with in regards to penalties to the employee which may be due to faulty /refurbished equipment. Spectrum's lack of respect for its employees especially it's vetted engineers who have have worked for years in the company only to be told that their pension will no longer exist despite being only a few months from retirement, is disgraceful.
Please consider why they are really able to offer "competitive" prices. It is at the expense of their hard working laborers who have found themselves replaced, while standing up for their rights for the last 5 weeks. Whom even prior to their strike have had difficulty putting food on the tables. This is the "changed" ex, that you speak of. To this end Spectrum would have been better staying Time Warner.

RominyGirl

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I loathe Spectrum!! My bill was going to be $146 a month. From December to April my bill has grown to be right at $200. WHY? Seems to be a question that no one at Spectrum can answer. I have to reset my wi-fi modem no less than 5 times A DAY. My DVR boxes don't work 70% of the time. Technicians came to change my boxes out. Problem solved? NO!! I literally have to call them every other day because something isn't working. I called to have items removed but it was going to jack my bill UP to $196. So I called back and said that I wanted to add some more DVR boxes, I live in a one bedroom apartment and don't need any other boxes but was curious as to what would be said. Price would go up to almost $300. Let's see if I removed DVRs and landline my bill would go up so wouldn't you think if I added some my bill would go down?? I've asked to speak to supervisors, CEO would be much better, but no one is ever available. Go figure. I'm in the process of taking this matter to my local news station so that people can be informed. I mean, WHY should I have to pay for the whole months bill when I don't get a full months service that works?? Would you buy a new car that was in the shop 15 days out of the month and not expect a free rental car for the days you couldn't drive it? Spectrum has sooo many lawsuits against them for cheating their customers and we're paying for them. I'm ditching them. Getting wi-fi through another company and buy a streaming device for my TV's. You pretty much get the same thing as you do with cable. People, don't let this company take advantage of you.

Ivan_77

Prominent
May 20, 2017
Don't be fooled by bloggers and "reporters" like this. Obviously TW/Spectrum is trying to improve their tarnished horrible image, rightly so, by PAYING to have "articles" like this "published" on websites like this.

Anyone who thinks TW/Spectrum is a good company is insane, or part of TW/Spectrum. They're the worst company I've ever experienced EVER. And what they've done with the LA Dodgers and to the people of LA is an absolute DISGRACE. DONT BE FOOLED

henrytcasey

Senior Writer
Herald
May 1, 2015

I'm happy to inform you of two facts: 1) TW/S didn't pay anything for this article, it was done for the sake of trying to explain how I think others can save themselves from Verizon DSL. 2) This isn't a sports blog. Sorry, that argument is irrelevant. If it were a sports blog, I'd have dedicated my two plus years covering tech to reporting on how the Dolans destroy the Knicks.

melanie36

Prominent
May 22, 2017
I am very upset with Spectrum. I convinced my mom to switch from dish to cable and set everything up a couple of weeks ago. I have gone through the entire process and have waited for the install and now they're telling me that the install visit is just to see if they can hook it up. That is NOT what they told us on the phone. We were told that they would come out and survey the area and drop a line BEFORE tomorrow's "install" date and that it will probable be 7-10 more days to set up a second visit. AND their customer service really stinks!

Raziaar

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Spectrum is shit, and you didn't get the "High speed internet that everyone deserves." You got something that 2nd world countries have better services for, and that they get for cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.