I have a Bose solo 5 to Sony str-dh77q. When connected I have picture, but no sound

Solution
It's still not clear what you are trying to do. The Bose isn't meant to be used with any receiver.
Connect your sources to the TV with HDMI. Connect the Bose to the TV with optical.
You may have to turn the optical audio on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type in the TV menu.
If you want to use the radio part of the receiver you would connect a tape record out to the aux input on the Bose. If the receiver doesn't have that you would need a speaker to line level converter connected to the main front l/R speaker outputs.
That Sony model number doesn't come up online. STR would usually be a stereo receiver.
If the Bose is connected to a TV you may need to turn the TV audio output on, the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type.
If you are trying to get sound from a stereo receiver to the soundbar you would use a tape record out if the receiver has one to the aux input of the soundbar. If the receiver didn't have that you would need a speaker to line level converter to connect the soundbar to the receiver.

kjthomas626

Prominent
Jan 25, 2018
So, the receiver has several speaker connections, it also has an optical port, which I know the receiver has as well. I also tried to use a coax connection and that doesn’t seem to work either. I am trying to hook my BD player, an Xbox, plus the tv...then connect them all with the hdmi out port to the tv??? This is driving me insane as I am someone who can typically knock all this out in a few minutes with some help just to pick up the heavy things, but I did all the hookups. Arghhhhh

It's still not clear what you are trying to do. The Bose isn't meant to be used with any receiver.
Connect your sources to the TV with HDMI. Connect the Bose to the TV with optical.
You may have to turn the optical audio on, turn the TV speakers off, and change the audio output type in the TV menu.
If you want to use the radio part of the receiver you would connect a tape record out to the aux input on the Bose. If the receiver doesn't have that you would need a speaker to line level converter connected to the main front l/R speaker outputs.

Solution