I have a creative x-fi card (Model sb0880) but sub doesn't work in 5.1 playback unless its playing back 5.1 content

Mike12mt

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
I have a creative x-fi card (Model sb0880) When I have DTS or Dolby Digital turned off no sound plays while my playback device is SET to speakers. But moving to optical on playback devices will get me 2.1. Thats the interesting part. The sub starts pounding away in the optical 2.1 config. But if I change it back to speakers in DTS, I get a 2.0 config. note as long as I have 5.1 content the sub channel does work. But it comes in very quitely. The gain on my sub has to be turned way up to pick up any LFE levels. However if I switch back to 2.1 mode in playback devices on the optical out, the sub gain is now way too high. I don't get it. I feel like there is a setting im missing in the creative software thats not properly setting the gain up on the sub in 5.1. Perhaps my receiver settings needs the speakers to be changed to small in order for the 5.1 to sent out more bass to the sub? Or I need to increase the sub output from the receiver directly? Heres another problem. I don't have the receivers remote anymore, and its a 16 year old unit with no setup button on the receiver itself. And ebay has turned up nothing in finding a replacement remote. Am I stuck buying a new AV unit?

Hos is everything connected? Is the subwoofer on it's own input? You did not say what speakers you have and it seems like you are gong to a receiver from the sound card, which adds it's own thing now to check.

Need to add some exact detail about what you have and how it's connected and with what settings.

Mike12mt

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Mike12mt

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Setup details: Custom Built HTPC with creative sound card

Cables: Optical Out going to AV receiver, for the sub, im using a y cable to split the single sub out connection to plug the cable into the dual RCA input located on the back.

Speakers: Focal Chorus Front speakers, KEF for rear speakers, Klipsch 12" Sub.

Other Devices: PS3, 360, Wii U. (Note all devices besides the PC need the sub gain turned down because its Overkill
However the PC is where the gain needs to be turned up. And no, the AV receiver does not have saved settings for different input devices.

Sound Card settings: Playback device on Windows Sound Control is set to Creative Speakers. Under the Audio launcher control from creative, its setup as 5.1 speakers with DTS as its realtime decoder. With the subwoofer settings turned off as they did not change the performance of the subwoofer while playing a youtube video. But while playing 5.1 movie through VLC, the subwoofer did respond. Im looking to figure out how to allow bass to work equally for VLC and youtube without having to change settings back and forth.

https://www.google.com/search?q=SUB-12&safe=off&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIvrzv3ci4yAIVxx0-Ch0hKgN0&biw=1920&bih=979#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=klipsch+sub+12&imgrc=1_rsNXWUKWlmMM%3A

thats a picture of my sub from the back. Note that when playing from the PC, the gain needs to be at 70% or higher to hear it. With all other devices, its needs to be at 20% or less.

The splitter may be causing issues, at least with the levels, is the receiver setup for stereo subs capability? What if you just use one of the inputs? Also one of those looks to be a Line In which would be a lower level connection than a standard speaker output which would explain why you have to have it up higher.

Optical output will not have 5.1 unless it's under specific playback options, combined with the receiver processing and options there could be a ton of reasons your sub is not working with some sources. Without actually having your setup to try things with, you would need to just try different options and maybe contact Creative support.

Mike12mt

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Mike12mt

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
All other optical devices have no issues with the sub at a lower gain. Its just the settings in the pc. My only other guess is figuring out without the av unit remote is how to configure the speaker sizes to small. Thats my only guess to rechannel the bass back into the sub. Or just buy a new av unit. Or a new sound card.