I have a Lenovo Ideapad Z500 falling apart. What do I do?? Please help.

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hello everyone,
I've a Lenovo Ideapad Z500 that I bought in Oct 2013. I had extended the warranty to cover me till Oct of this year.

Now, the laptop has developed some troubles over the last six months. The fan on the CPU Heatsink is spinning slower than it used to.

The tilde key isn't working and the control key on the left needs to be pressed in certain angle otherwise the button lid would come off.

The plastic bit around the ventilation area on the left is disintegrating and hence introducing flex to the whole laptop whenever I open or close the lid..... you get the drift.

So, in January of this year I took the laptop to the authorized service center and it was deemed that the damages to the laptop was not accidental but normal wear and tear.

I was suggested to order for the parts necessary for replacement which I did in January by paying Rs.10,300 ($150 or so). Till now the order isn't fulfilled. I've badgered them about the order and they keep saying that they are waiting for parts from Lenovo.

Today, I considered having my laptop replaced by Lenovo. I chatted with an agent and he said that replacements are only possible within 7 days of purchase.

I feel like I'm totally screwed and don't know what to do.

Any suggestions would be of great help to me. If any, kindly share your experiences with laptop replacements.

Thank You.

Hi,

I might have to agree with Lenovo that it's due to wear and tear why those parts are like that but the parts that you ordered shouldn't take a very long time to be delivered. And about replacing the entire laptop with a different one or a new one i'm not sure if they will replace it same with other laptop manufacturers, they won't just replace the laptop that is 3 yrs already with a new one or the same model.

varun706

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Hi Laptop_Nerd,

Thanks for replying. Yes, the delivery of the parts is taking too long. I sent an email to the company that's responsible for handling such orders this morning and they haven't replied yet.

I also tried email support feature from Lenovo and they all say the same, "Take the laptop to the nearest service as you have Carry-in Warranty".
I've been there, done that.

I seem to recall to have read in Lenovo Forums that a person with Ideapad Y510P got an Ideapad Y50 as replacement. I thought I might get a Z50.

Nothing anyone can do for you here, you have to deal with Lenovo support to get it resolved. If you have an extended warranty why did you have to pay for the parts? Is it for labor only? Usually extended warranties are not done by the laptop vendor but by a 3rd party provider, they are not likely to replace a laptop from almost 3 years ago, and neither would Lenovo with a new model unless they could not repair yours. I would keep trying to get a hold of them, and also contact any consumer organizations in your country. If you wait till after your warranty is out to get anything from them it will just be that much harder to get anything done.