I have a Toshiba satellite and the spacebar and the 1,2,3,4 buttons are not working unless I press the fn key

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amelie78

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
The problem started yesterday. It seems it could be related to the last Windows 10 update. However, I have been using Windows 10 for a while and never had problems before. I tried activating the "Wake up on keyboard" under Toshiba/hardware setup, but it doesn't work. Any ideas? Pls help and thank you!

Solution
Hi,

I was having the same problem and here's my experience.

After poking at the Microsoft boards, other user found that on March 16, a Microsoft update pushed an updated Levano driver down to Toshibas. You can check your updates by going to the Windows/Start button and clicking on the settings. It's the gear/flower shaped icon above the power button. Click Update and Security and then Update History.

So in a nutshell, the wrong driver was installed. I saw two possible ways to fix it.

1) Open control panel. Type Keyboard into the search engine and pull up the keyboard properties. Say you want to change the properties. Go to the driver tab and select the option to roll back the driver.

This seemed like the most straight forward...
Try this...

1. Uninstall the keyboard driver.
2. Reboot the computer (without reinstalling the driver).
3. When it restarts, it should reinstall the driver on its own.

If this doesn't work, you may wish to try connecting an external keyboard and see if it works fine. If it does, then it could be the keys themselves that are the issue.

sharevans

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

I'm having the exact same issue that just started with the last update. I have been trying everything. I'll let you know if I find a solution.

Amelie78

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Amelie78

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Thank you for the tip, but I actually already tried this (did not work) before I finally found a solution. I found this on a Microsoft forum thread:
"Click on the Synaptics pointing device icon, open Pointing Device Properties, Device Settings, then disable the Touchpad. Spacebar and other keys (like 1 4) should then operate properly. Not sure how stable this fix is, but it works until a permanent fix is made available. Posted on 9/23/15."

It actually worked for me. However, I know this is only fixing part of the problem since I can no longer use my touchpad without having the space bar problem. I suppose I'll have to completely uninstall Synaptics, and then install it again.

Thanks for your help :)

Amelie78

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

sharevans

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

I hate to sound clueless (but I am). What is the Synaptics Pointing Device icon?

jburns

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
You have to roll back the driver. So, go to the Device Manager and double click on the Synaptics Pointing Device icon, then roll back the driver to the one that was working before the update.

Donna_56

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
Hi,

I was having the same problem and here's my experience.

After poking at the Microsoft boards, other user found that on March 16, a Microsoft update pushed an updated Levano driver down to Toshibas. You can check your updates by going to the Windows/Start button and clicking on the settings. It's the gear/flower shaped icon above the power button. Click Update and Security and then Update History.

So in a nutshell, the wrong driver was installed. I saw two possible ways to fix it.

1) Open control panel. Type Keyboard into the search engine and pull up the keyboard properties. Say you want to change the properties. Go to the driver tab and select the option to roll back the driver.

This seemed like the most straight forward and safest option, but the Rollback button was grayed out on my computer, so I moved onto option 2

2) Find your Toshiba model number - mine is an L775 S7355. Google up your model number and driver. One of the first options should be the Toshiba page for your laptop. Select your operating system from the dropbox. I had a bit of a problem because Windows 10 wasn't on the list, so I decided to choose the operating system before I upgraded to Windows 10, which was Windows 7, 64 bit. The driver there was dated less than a year ago, so I was feeling pretty good about it.

When I tried to execute the driver, it wouldn't install because a newer driver (the one we want to get rid of) was already installed. It told me to uninstall this driver first.

This is where it gets risky, because once you uninstall the driver, the touchpad and keyboard may stop working all together and then you won't be able to get the new driver installed. So you need to have a back up prepared. If you have a touchscreen computer, you could turn on the onscreen keyboard. Otherwise you may need a usb keyboard and mouse.

Through Control Panel and Add/Remove programs, I uninstalled the Symantec Pointing Device. It required a restart. I did so and luckily the keyboard worked -- It looks like Windows picked a more generic driver. I didn't check at this point if the keyboard was working properly or not. I executed the Toshiba Driver that I had downloaded. The problem was fixed.

Solution

tonioli

Prominent
Mar 19, 2017
I also have a Toshiba satellite L775 laptop and the spacebar, 1,2,3,4 and arrow buttons are not working unless I press the fn key. The problem started 3 days ago immediately after last Windows 10 update. There is unknown issue w latest windows 10 and Toshiba but so far no one at micrsosoft or toshiba have solution.

jburns

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Go to the device manager and roll back the Synoptics driver. It's simple!!

jburns

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
[FIX] SOLUTION: The latest Windows 10 update corrupts the Synaptics Touchpad driver. The only solution is to install a previous version of the driver. The easiest way to do this is to ROLL BACK the Synaptics Touchpad driver. To do this, go to start and type Device Manager and open it. Go down to Mice and other pointing devices and click the plus to show the Synaptics Touchpad device. Then double click on it and ROLL BACK the driver and restart. DONE.

sharevans

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Thanks for the advice. I think i'm getting closer, but no solution yet. My pointing is a Lenova and when I go to the driver, it won't allow me the option to rollback to a previous version or to to disable it. Those options are grayed out and I am unable to click on them.

sharevans

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Okay I'm going to give the 2nd option a try. Thx. I'll let you know.

It worked!!! Thank you so much! I have been struggling with this issue since last Thursday.

Thank you to everyone for your advice!!

Michelephn

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

Thanks jburns, that did it. I was trying to rollback on the keyboard driver (didn't work) but you're right it's actually the "Mice and other pointing devices" drivers which had this faulty Lenovo driver on it. Rolled back that
now works again.

Gerald_23

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

========================================================================================
Yep, go ole Microsoft strikes again. I lost my Tab, Spacebar, and the FN keys after they downloaded the Levano driver for me replacing the Synaptics Touchpad driver. I attempted to roll back the updates via System Restore to a known good point. All attempts to restore my system failed.
I finally went to Toshiba support and downloaded the Synaptics driver for my computer model number to a location I could later find.
Next I performed an Add or remove programs to remove the Leveno pointing device driver.
Then after that completed I verified that the generic Microsoft driver was installed. I then selected the setup.exe for Synaptics and install the correct driver, and now I my computer is back working as it should.. Thanks for the fix.

Mooch001

Prominent
Mar 20, 2017

It seems that my Synaptics pointing device was actually replaced with a Lenovo Pointing Device when I went to roll back the driver. Now it is showing as the proper Synaptics device and my spacebar, tab, 1, 2, 3 and 4 keys are once again working properly without needing to hold the FN key. Also not mentioned by others but my Sleep on Lid Close is working again after having stopped at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.