Question I have some questions about laptop LCD cables.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
First, for some background, I'll copy my message from a different forum here. That will make my reasons for the questions clearer:

"My laptop's screen won't turn on while the laptop itself does.

I don't know how relevent it is, but my model is a toshiba qosmio.

It started when a portion of my laptop broke. It was only the bottom right, however, and it merely made it difficult to open and close the laptop in that its metalic base was not in its proper place on one side. A few days following my laptop suddenly shut off when I slightly moved it. I don't recall if the entire laptop shut down or only the screen

This happened a few more times. One time the screen displayed a strange image somewhat like how a T.V might show when there's no signal or has something wrong with it. It was either after that or soon after that it would not turn back on no matter what I tried.

I had it sent to be repaired. It appears that the display works when connected to an external monitor. However, when the laptop's monitor was replaced by another it still would not function. At the moment I have to wait several weeks for a new cable to be tested.

Are there any suggestions as to what the issue might be and how to best repair it?

Edit: I'm not entirely certain if the break in its frame is related to its subsequent state of disrepair. "

Now for my questions:

1. Can a laptop LCD cable be replaced with another if the models don't match (One is a Toshiba Satellite, the other is a Toshiba Qosmio), but their serial numbers do? The number 6017B0495001 is written on both, although the number sequences beneath it aren't identical. Is there a possibility it won't work?

2. Can such a cable be replaced if the serial numbers are not identical? Is such a thing at all possible?

3. Can you think of any other reasons my laptop's screen would not turn on given the above information?

kenshuuu

Great
Oct 3, 2019
You need to buy the exact same display.

BTW if the display wasn't cracked when you sent it to them, then they need to fix it.

They say that you can't see it right away, and it was likely caused by a previous repair (when I took it to the first repair shop and he reconfigured the broken hinge)

This is the picture they sent me https://ibb.co/MCgG41v what do you make of this? Also, do you think some display might still be shown if I used this screen or will it not work at all? Can using a cracked screen like this hurt my cable or my motherboard parts?

What about screens that say "Matching Models...:" and list my model number? Could these not work?

Last edited:
While a cracked screen likely wouldn't damage anything else on its own, it could lead to problems if any moisture or other things got to it and then cause problems with the rest of the device. Since the display would no longer be sealed.

"Matching Models" means aftermarket parts. Depending on where they are from and how they are made, they can be great or a problem. Choosing where to buy from is totally up to you. However, buy parts that are the 'same'. Not different features or 'should work with'. You need to make sure it is the right part.