I have the RCA P52939 rear projection tv. My picture is showing dark. I tried to adjust the contrast and the color. It didnt

Solution
the fluid has to be changed out.... it is "almost like clear antifreeze" (glycol based) :) Although it isn't necessarily that difficult, IF you aren't technically inclined or handy, you can cause more damage than not if you aren't very careful. The liquid is corrosive to circuit boards so any leaks can be a problem along with issue like losing alignment of the tubes/lenses, etc. Lots of information on the internet on dealing with this sort of servicing. Having some one do it with likely cost more than the set is worth.

PS. did you look at the tubes / lenses while they were on... can you see the "growths"? Have you also tried a careful cleaning of the mirror... very careful?

toygean117

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Do you think if I clean the lenses that will help some?

toygean117

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

Which bulb?

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
there are no bulbs in the set. It has three tubes, one for each color. You can try cleaning the surface of each lens / tube VERY carefully. If the tv hasn't been serviced (ever), eventually the surfaces do also get coated with "grime". The mirror can also be cleaned but is extremely "tender" and can be readily scratched so extreme care is needed there also.

If you look inside the set when it is operating and look at the lenses, you will see any "growth" in the fluid (which is between the lens and crt tube. It is that "stuff" that is blocking the light and likely causing the dark picture.

toygean117

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
the fluid has to be changed out.... it is "almost like clear antifreeze" (glycol based) :) Although it isn't necessarily that difficult, IF you aren't technically inclined or handy, you can cause more damage than not if you aren't very careful. The liquid is corrosive to circuit boards so any leaks can be a problem along with issue like losing alignment of the tubes/lenses, etc. Lots of information on the internet on dealing with this sort of servicing. Having some one do it with likely cost more than the set is worth.

PS. did you look at the tubes / lenses while they were on... can you see the "growths"? Have you also tried a careful cleaning of the mirror... very careful?

Solution