I have two wires from my hi fi and a sony self powered speaker with 3.5 jack plugs can i couple the two wires into a 3.5 jack

Alan_81

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
I have a new Sony 100 watt HI Fi with two speakers but only two wires each side for the speakers.
I want to couple two Sony SRS 99X speakers to the system the speakers have 7 speakers and 5 amplifiers and have there own power supply.
Could i couple a 3.5 jack plug to the cables from the HI FI unit and get better sound because i am using the head phone socket at present

Alan_81

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
I do not know if using the cables from the unit will blow the speakers as the cables from the unit powers the speakers up where the new speakers are self powered

Alan_81

Commendable
Oct 27, 2016
The two twin cables run from the power unit to power the old speakers up. I want to know if i can put a 3.5 jack plug on these cables to get sound into my new speakers. The new speakers have there own power supply with 5 amplifiers in each unit

If you are looking to use the self powered speakers instead of passive speakers with the Sony stereo then you connect one of these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142LOC80/Scosche-LOC80.html
to the speaker terminals. That will drop the output to line level which will safely drive the self powered speakers. It is also OK to use the headphone output if you keep the volume control of the receiver low. If you overload the input of the active speakers you will hear the distortion regardless of how loud the speakers own volume is set.
If you want to add the self powered speakers to a passive pair then you can connect the speakers and the speaker to line level converter in parallel. Will work fine.