Question Can I use two different audio outputs plugged into different ouputs on the the back of my motherboard?

Jul 5, 2020
I just built my first computer. My mother board is a Gigabyte X570. The audio output options are Center/Subwoofer Out, Rear Speaker Out, Front Speaker out. I have two devices I would like to have audio come out of. The first is my headphones and the second is my Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 computer speakers. I plugged things in as follows:

Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out: Computer Speakers
Front Speaker out: Headphones.

Currently, audio only comes out of my headphones. How can I switch between these two outputs? Is this possible? When I enter the sound settings in windows 10, it says the Realtek HD audio 2nd output is not plugged in. I searched online and I found one person saying that one of the inputs must be plugged into the front of the computer in order to have two devices--Is this true? I'd prefer to plug everything in the back (for cable management). Please help and Thank you.

Jul 5, 2020
I ended up putting one of my outputs on the front of my computer and another at the back. Not ideal, but at least I can use both my outputs now.

hang-the-9

Titan
I use one of these DAC/AMPs and do exactly what you were looking to do https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Optical-Coaxial-Amplifier/dp/B01HERNVQQ . Headphones and speakers on the same device, both active, just turn on the speakers when you want to use them. Volume control is separate, the speaker out is a line out so is interdependent of the headphone amp volume. Keep in mind this is for headphones not headset with a mic on them. For that you need a DAC setup for gaming like a Shiit Hel or Fulla or Sennheiser GSX 1000 but that last is more costly although very well designed with plenty of features.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dopeeh Audio 1
iammine Audio 3
mechasmurf Audio 0
R Audio 2
S Audio 0
OhGod Audio 1
iamktk Audio 2
LukeWalker67 Audio 1
A Audio 0
L Audio 1
E Audio 2