I just bought the Coolpix P900 & confused about autofocus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterQuartzsite

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
I need advice on how to fix my shots. I stand 3-4' from flower/tree, zoom in a little, then go to focus and it teases by focusing on flower perfect for that auto focus split second then totally blurry for the shot...why? What am I doing wrong? And I am totally new at this.

Solution
Check the setting for focus-points in the camera menu.

You may have it set up to use multiple focus-points, I prefer to set up my DSLR to use only a single focus point in the centre so try that.

Not easy to suggest a fix when I'm not there to fire a few shots off with it myself.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
on my camera

i hold the take the shot button half way down until it focuses

then all the way down once it flashes a green light to say it thinks its perfectly focused

no idea if yours can do the same

could also try going closer and not using the zoom

its really a case of trying the different settings until you get the hang of the camera

some times intelligent auto on mine doesnt give the best shot so i turn the dial to a different choice to see what it looks like

Check the setting for focus-points in the camera menu.

You may have it set up to use multiple focus-points, I prefer to set up my DSLR to use only a single focus point in the centre so try that.

Not easy to suggest a fix when I'm not there to fire a few shots off with it myself.

Solution

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
quick read of a review this may also help

If you have set AF area mode to manual (which you can do from the main menu), then you can set the AF point by pressing the OK button in the centre of the navigation pad and then scrolling around the screen to the point you want to use. Using AF focusing allows you to get very close to the subject, almost to the point where you’re touching it with the lens.

MisterQuartzsite

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017
Thats when it focuses halg way down then go to take it and it zips to blurry...i do agree i am going to have to play with it more just noticed thia little glitch right off...im not totally new at photography just new to this camera. Thanks for your input...i appreciate all the help i can get!

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011

no problem

though photography isnt really my thing

sounds like phillip corcoran knows a lot more than i do

Status
Not open for further replies.