I just spent $7 on this essential Steam app that can triple frame rates in PC games

TehJumpingJawa

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
What a misleading product name.

You lose image quality.
You lose frame pacing.
You lose latency.

What part of this tech is lossless???

As for "super cheap", FSR is *free*, AMD frame gen is*free*.
It's pretty hard to get cheaper than free!

suck3rs

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2015
What a misleading product name.

You lose image quality.
You lose frame pacing.
You lose latency.

What part of this tech is lossless???

As for "super cheap", FSR is *free*, AMD frame gen is*free*.
It's pretty hard to get cheaper than free!
It definitely does Upscaling on any game even if the developers did not include it. As for frame generation, you should at least check it out. I use it on Helldivers to get 75 frames on 3440x1440 on a Vega 56. I initially got the app to run games that won't run full screen because they didn't have the aspect ratio for my monitor. Now, Fram generation is amazing with it. I actually bought it again for my 15 year old son to play games on an old laptop he has. Yes, comparison shows native Upscaling in games look better than using Lossless Scaling. Although, LL will run a little faster. Then you throw generation to double your frames, forget about it.

The trick for frame generation is to get the game locked at half the refresh rate of your monitor and set the settings the best they can be without dropping frames. Then enable frame generation and enjoy.

Mod Edit - Be polite or be gone

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 27, 2024
Lossless Scaling does so much more than you would believe.

The input latency hit isn't as bad as you would expect as it isn't holding frames in the game engine. Lossless requires the game to be played in a Borderless Window and the game runs, unmodified in the background. Your inputs are tied to that instance. Where you will get some latency is display latency as what you see is actually a reprojected window being displayed on top of the actual game.

The best thing about Lossless Scaling's frame generation is it's frame pacing. Once you lock to 1/3 or 1/2 your monitor refresh rate, making sure you can consistently hit that fps, then it makes everything smooth and you don't see near as many frame drops (if ever). The frame gen isn't perfect, but it is nearly so 95% of the time. It seems to encounter issues when displaying a panning grid (like a bookshelf or hatch pattern). It's certainly more benefit than hindrance though.

It also can be used on a high refresh rate monitor. I run 60 fps at 3x FG at 180hz and it is absolutely awesome.

Irony is I have a friend with a 4090 who gets inconsistent frames in GTA V; an engine limitation. He gets better frame pacing with Lossless Scaling than native high fps bouncing everywhere.

It also works regardless of whether its DX11/12 or Vulcan; if feels almost necessary for games like X4 Foundations where you can cripple any modern CPU when you set an increased simulation speed. As long as the game can run in a borderless window, it'll work.

... It also works on video, including YouTube. It does struggle with low res videos and when the YT overlay is on though.

One piece of advice though... Your GPU needs a little headroom for Lossless to do frame generation. If you are already 100% GPU and maxed out VRAM, it's not going to do as much good and base frame rate will take a hit. It's better to back off to stable fps then multiply up.