I Need A Laptop Suggestion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Space Dancer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
1. What is your budget?
I live in Turkey so I don't think that laptops in Turkey are the same price. They are more expensive but I think it's like maximum 1400 or something like that.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Min 13inc max 17inc

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920x1080 or higher

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
It doesn't matter that much but I don't want it to be too heavy or big

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'm going to bring it to school so I need a long battery life

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
THIS PART IS IMPORTANT FOR ME
Im going to play games like CS:GO, Sims 4, GMod, Dota 2, SimCity, Prison Architect, Don't Starve Together and games like that but I'll never play games like Gta 5 or Fallout 4 (High-End games) on laptop because I got a Ps4 and I'll play High-End games from there

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
I got Photoshop but I don't think I'll use it too much, maybe once or twice a month

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I'm going to upload so many pictures, videos (Etc.) to my laptop so I need quite a big storage
And I'm going to use it for school and I'm going to use storage for my school projects, essays (Etc.)
I'm also going to download games. I'm going to download small games like (Written on 6).
And I'm going to download a few of them so I need the storage for that

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I don't know really but I'll like it to stay atleast 2-3 years or more

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Dosen't matter too much but faster better I guess (dosen't matter really)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't want alienware cause they don't sell them in Turkey.
I don't want a mac cause some steam games dosen't work on it and dosen't have that much storage (But I can consider it if it fits me well)

13. What country do you live in?
Turkey as I already told you

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I don't want a high-end gaming laptop cause they are a bit overkill for me

Thank you for your responses

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
For the Acer, if you buy it before 29 July, you get the free Windows 10 update so it's not a problem and you can safely to a clean install after updating to remove any bloatware since it's a new laptop.

Considering all the factors so far, you're now very limited because of the Optical Drive, backlit keyboard and HDD+SSD. On my part, I haven't found any which fit all these factors for a gaming laptop. A mainstream one will easily have all these features but you'll be stuck with either low end graphics cards or intergrated graphics and you can forget about playing games. You'll have to forsake either Optical Drive or backlit keyboard. For optical drive, you can get an external one and for backlit keyboard, even at night, the light of the screen will be enough. For SSD, you can buy one and swap it.

Space Dancer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

I don't need a optical drive. And actually I don't want one. I stated the specs I want one before this so yeah. You can suggest a laptop without optical drive cause I'm going to buy an external one after. :D

Space Dancer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

My most wanted specs are windows 10, keyboard lighting, hdd+ssd and a basic design like I said.
So if you can suggest a laptop lile this I'll be so happy. :D
I don't want optical drive, I'm going to buy an external one instead.

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
Sorry for the late reply, upgraded to Windows 10, had to downgrade, lots of issues. Anyways, get the Dell I mentioned. It has all the features you want, Windows 10, keyboard lighting, basic design except for optical drive and HDD. Just buy a HDD and insert it, there's a place for additional storage.

Space Dancer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

I said it earlier. The dell you suggested dosen't have lighting keyboard in Turkey. They don't make the Dell you suggested with keyboard lighting in Turkey. I don't know why buy they don't
:(

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
If that's the case, there's also no guarantee the others I will suggest will have backlit keyboard. Buy the Dell and have it shipped to you through a forwarding company. Shipping cost + tax ~$230

Space Dancer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

I've tought of that but I speaked with the school and they want Turkish keyboard. (We have ş,ç,ü...)

Do you have an another laptop suggestion?

xDeuiii

Commendable
Mar 1, 2016
On my part, I haven't found any laptop with Turkish keyboard, you'll have to try to find locally and I think it's not worth it. There are easy ways to type turkish characters out there.

Space Dancer

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

I know and I don't want you to find a laptop with Turkish keyboard. Thats my job to find. I need to know if there is an another laptop that you can suggest. If there is you can suggest I will search the Turkish electronic stores if it is the same with the laptop you suggested. (Cause the Dell you suggested have backlit keyboard but not in Turkey)