I need advice w/ LAPTOP PURCHASE based on our needs (picking between 2)

Which laptop would you choose?

• Acer Aspire E1 15.6" Notebook - 6GB RAM, 750GB HD @$550

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dell 15" Laptop Intel Core i5 8GB RAM 1TB HD w/ 5 yr Tech Support / Purple @$730

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mrsderrer

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
I am hoping you all can give me your input. Input that I can understand that is, many of you are technological geniuses... I am not! lol OK, that being said, I have looked at several different notebooks and I am a little torn between two. After a very long and confusing search and subsequent order debacle, I now have two different laptops en route to my home. One of them will be returned, the other I will keep. I will tell you a little about my needs for this computer and what I will be primarily using it for, and then I will tell you what the two options I have are and what price I will be paying for them. If you are able to lend me some advice on which you would go with if you were me it would be greatly appreciated.

SO.... here goes. I am a stay at home mom with a tiny little side biz making and selling hair accessories online. Therefore I maintain an online shoppe for that and also have a ebay biz selling clothing etc. So between those things and having two little ones, I do a lot of photo work on the computer (am looking into new software programs also for the new computer that are not too complicated when it comes to photo editing and storage if you have any ideas there) so I need something that can handle a decent amt of photo storage. I will soon be doing a lot of work in Word and other programs working on a couple books.

Our kids occassionally watch Netflix movies on it and play some learning games you young kids. We are NOT gamers or anything like that. I do routinely have a gillion windows open at a time that I juggle between, we live in a rural area so I do a lot product research and shopping via the net. I like a decent size screen for bad close up vision and for being able to see details in photots clearly in items I buy and sell. I like to be able to multi-task and move quickly and easily between open windows. We use it to store/listen to music also, we are talking like 100s of songs, not thousands or tens of thousands btw. But I like to burn music CDs a lot.

I am a klutz at times and things get wild with the little rugrats, therefore it will likely take a spill from an ottoman to the carpeted floor or be knocked off the chair onto the carpeted floor, not be chucked down a flight of cement stairs or anything crazy (crap, knock on wood). So it needs to be able to take a little bruising, not a nuclear strike, I just don't want a delicate flower of a pc. It travels with me once in a while to downstate at my folks, other that that it stays connected int he same spot at home all the time.

So that about sums it up for that. I think that is about all I can think of you might want to know with regard to usage. The choices... drum-roll please......

#1: Acer Aspire E1 15.6" Notebook - 6GB RAM, 750GB HD @$550
#2: Dell 15" Laptop Intel Core i5 8GB RAM 1TB HD w/ 5 yr Tech Support / Purple @$730

I have never had an Acer personally, I have heard good things about them and seen some great reviews, but my family tells me they have had HORRID luck with the Acers they've gotten. Not sure if it is the operator or the laptop though in their case, if you know what I mean. I have seen some bad reviews on the Dells, but this one has some very good reviews on the site I was getting it from. I had an HP and their C/S sucked and it ran SUPPPPPPER hot. I even bought these thick little black rubber feet I attached to the under-body to give it extra lift off the lap desk and it didn't help much. Its been dying a slow death for a long time.

Also, my husband will be getting his own new one very soon and I will ask of your advice for a recommendation on a laptop you might suggest for him/his needs. He uses word a bit, mostly just surfs sports sites and item research. He watches some how to stuff on youtube etc. His also will be used once in a while for the kids to watch netflix etc and play learning games on kid sites. His won't store the photos and music like mine. BUT.... here is the biggest area of importance for his... He coaches varsity football... so he will be watching game film on it very often. It needs a good screen with clarity for breaking down plays etc. He also had a program he will have installed called Hudl which I think takes a fair amount of resources from the pc. I think it uses about 100-150mb of memory. It is a program with which the coaches in the leagues upload and share game film video files between eachother and where players can view their own highlight films etc. THat hot running HP I mentioned earlier has been on it's last leg for a while, we are going to replace it once my new one, whichever that may be, is here and up and running.

SO.... let the advice begin! In words us non-techies can comprehend please! :) Thanks so much in advance for your KIND assistance! :)

Natasha

Either of those laptops will do what you want, I'd pick Dell as it's faster and is also more reliable.

Take a look at this Lenovo G510 also, it's cheaper than the Dell, although a bit slower, will run all you want it to do. http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/essential/g-series/g510/?sb=:000001C9:0000FB92:&tt=d

Don't worry about space for your files, any new computer will have a lot of disk space. It will suit both of you just fine if you want to get two of them. When you order the laptop, you may want to get Windows 7 instead of 8. 8 is very clumsy to use.

mrsderrer

Honorable
Nov 12, 2013
Thank you!! I am glad (but bummed) to hear that about Win 8, it did come pre loaded on both options, and Lord knows I would hate to have to BUY a version of 7 instead to replace it once I get it I have seen SO much about the Lenovo computers though recently, seems like they are always at the top of Tech Top Ten lists etc. I will certainly keep that in mind when we look for the next one!I

One question though... you said they are both pretty good choices but you might lean toward the Dell, is the difference enough to justify to hefty price difference? Thanks again!

Read this review about the Acer and decide, the LCD screen looks to be poor in it. http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/acer-aspire-e1-572-6870.aspx

I'd pick the system with more reliability, and probably the Lenovo over either the Dell or the Acer. There is also this model http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2418844,00.asp