I need good antivirus/antimalware protection for my PC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronaldgorup

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
So idk but my pc has a lot of issues like being slow and win 7 sometimes tells me that I have a virus in that and that directory and command prompt shows on startup (shows and disappears) and friend of mine told me that I possibly have a pretty bad virus or more than one so I need to know how can I remove it and fix possible damage...

*sorry for my bad grammar

Solution

I agree with checking your HDD, does sound like a definite culprit with the buzzing. Sounds silly, but you may also want to try cleaning out the PC (with compressed air or...

ronaldgorup

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017

At this moment Avast but free one and I am certain that my PC is infested with virus but Avast says "Nope man, you trippin" sooo yeah...
Idk I literaly think about factory reset and C disk wipe (except win 7 ofc) because my PC is getting slower and slower plus possibly damaged HHD since it rumbles and makes buzzing noise (probably one of reasons why my PC is slow)

ronaldgorup

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017

My HDD manufacturer is Hitachi (Deskstar 8GB if it helps)

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

I agree with checking your HDD, does sound like a definite culprit with the buzzing. Sounds silly, but you may also want to try cleaning out the PC (with compressed air or similar) as dust and buildup could be both increasing heat and cause strange noises. Such as if a fan's performance is hindered.

As for whether you have a virus or not, can you provide an example of what Windows (assuming Defender?) is saying the infection is? Did Defender block the infection? If the infection is blocked, this would explain why other AV suites (including ours) didn't detect anything. Perhaps whatever this malware is, is trying to perform the same action over and over, and continues to get blocked.

One thing you may want to try is disconnecting your computer from the net and running a full scan with Avast, as well as a boot-time scan. This can help catch malware before it can re-populate itself. https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/132/

Finally, if what you're seeing is just obnoxious popups, it may not be destructive malware as such, but possibly "adware" that doesn't damage your PC or files but can be annoying, and of course cause performance issues. You should also check your browsers for any unwanted extensions, as that could also be the culprit. Sometimes, you may have to reset your Chrome settings to remove these kinds of things.

One last note on protection -- do you have both Defender and Avast Free enabled? It's generally not recommended to run two active protection programs at once, as this can definitely cause performance issues. Installing Avast Free should disable Defender, but if it does not, we'd recommend you do so. Avast has a lot of technology to help catch even unknown or zero-day malware (CyberCapture and Behavior Shield, for example) but you can still retain Defender as a secondary active scanner.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.