I need help choosing a GAMING laptop in my price range max of $1100 USD/$1400 CAD

tbartoli

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
I've been looking around at Alienware, Lenovo Y50, MSI, Schenker XMG... I can't figure out which is best.
I need a laptop around 2kg - 2.5kg, so relatively light, but with strong gaming power.
I've been trying to find the best combination I can but simply don't have enough knowledge on which CPU and GPU combos are best, among other specs.
I am aware that the low weight may constrict me to a 13 inch screen but I am open to larger screens if the weight isn't heavier

If you guys have suggestions i'd be very happy to receive them!

P.S I am willing to be a little flexible with the price if it means a significant upgrade.

tbartoli

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion! The site says its 4kg though :S I'd like it to be portable, since I'm a university student. I guess I based the weight on what I saw the Alienware 13 being capable of.
Do you think the Alienware 13 is good? It would be i5 though, is that a huge sacrafice?

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

It would not be a huge sacrifice to go down a tier of CPU. GPU is significantly weaker. an 860M is about half the power of an 870M

Really, if you're looking for a gaming laptop, there are limitations. If you're aiming for under 2.5kg, you're really pushing it because there's no room for battery/heat management combined with powerful processors.

If you're a male, I'd say it's easier to just carry an extra 2.5 kg and get stronger. You will get used to lifting 5kg pretty fast if you do it every day. Gaming and portable are not very compatible, so you see stuff like external $1000 graphics card rigs.

tbartoli

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
Hmm, you're right. I've begun to rethink my expectations.
I recently made a large profit by selling my sisters 4 years worth of university textbooks. I was going to use the money for a ski trip but perhaps i'll use it to splurge on a laptop.
I'm thinking of going with the Razer.

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Razer is overpriced for pretty much everything they make unless it's on clearance. They make nice stuff if you take good care of it and don't mind the premium price(cheapish materials but good design).

So you pay roughly $600 extra to get the Razer that weighs a couple Kg less.

tbartoli

Estimable
Mar 4, 2015
The razer I am looking at (at the checkout to see the real price) is $2389 CAD and includes a free set of headphones, a mouse and laptop case. This is a LOT more expensive than I am willing to pay though.
Now i'm looking at the Alienware 15, since it can include the i7-4710HQ processor and costs $1650 CAD. It has a 970M GPU which I read is good (but I know nothing about specs) and its 3.2KG which is light.

I'm going to explore more options.

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

The 970M is the second best laptop GPU available on the market (after the 980M). It is better than most desktop GPUs and will handle graphics turned way up. I tried to hunt down a 970M laptop in your budget, but as you can see it's a little above the 1100USD price range.