I need help finding a Gaming Laptop for under 1000

XDacer

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
I am looking to buy right now and have some ideas but I wanted to ask to see if I am overlooking anything. Here is what I would like:

15inch, 1080p, i5 or i7 with Nvidia 560 or better for under 1000. Please be detailed on your recommendations. I look forward to your responses.

Thanks

XDacer

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

Thanks for the advice, here you go:

1. What is your budget? 1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15 inch

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1080

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Gaming, so more a desktop replacement

5. How much battery life do you need? 3-4 hours of gaming

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes and the best i can will 1000 dollar laptop

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) just gaming for the most part

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? 500gb or more

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links? not really, just a good deal.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 3 yrs

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? just DVD Rom/writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons? I am open.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Just want the best in the current market.

XDacer

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
gaming laptops under 1000$:
http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/recommended-top-gaming-laptops-pocket-1000-summery-1272012/4/
1. You can take the HP dv6t-7000 select edition or quad edition and you'll get what you've asked for + some nice things like 32GB mSSD and 1TB HDD (quad edition) and backlit keyboard.
Or you can save some money and buy it for ~920$

2. Sager NP6165 - A Clevo based laptop. with the screen upgrade you get very high quality FullHD screen under 1000$ and a case that is very easily customizable. cons: bulky looks (it's also a in the 'pros' section), not light and not the best battery runtime among the gaming laptops in this class.

3. The is the Eurocom Fox 4.0 but I don't know its quality. I guess it's good.

If you can exceed the 1000$, take a look at these recommendations for high-midrange graphics gaming laptops:
http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/recommendations-gt-650m-gtx-660m-radeon-7730m-7750m-7770m-laptops-high-midra/

You can get the GTX 660M / GTX 670M performance for 1100$, so it might be worth it.

But as the one above me said - better say what do you need. specific games? battery?

I will be playing mostly WOW, SC2, and some first person shooters. Battery Life needs to be at least 2+ hours of gaming.

Good advice, thanks.

While gaming a 45-60min battery life is going to be more realistic.
You can increase that by using a larger capacity battery, lowering screen brightness, underclocking the CPU & GPU, plus lowering graphics settings in the games.

XDacer

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011

Agreed, however better to ask then not. It would be nice to be able to play for at least 1.5 hours.

blaaaaaa

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Just my opinion but I think you should stick with desktop for gaming. I have an asus g73jw and it sucks that I cannot overclock my gpu or change fan speeds because its a laptop. Well I can overclock but then the gpu is not stable.

One way to meet that goal is to use less power hungry parts.
Dual core CPU, less power GPU, smaller screen resolution, etc.

But if you feel you can live with tweaking your hardware when you're away from a power plug you can probably meet your 90 min goal.

Otherwise, you're looking at choosing battery life as a priority over performance and that means limiting your gaming performance on the battery AND while plugged in.

XDacer

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2011
2 hours playing? well, that's quite high for intensive games. But if it's really a critical issue, then buy another battery or assemble one yourself.
WoW is not a game who needs very much to look good and it won't look good anyway if you ask me. and it's boring, but nevermind.
About first person shooters - that would be probably the most demanding ones. I suggest go for one of the GT 650M / GTX 660M / GTX 670M / GTX 5XX laptops. they cost 800$ and up and offer very high performance per price ratio.

Sounds like my dreams of playing for 2 hours is not going to happen, i am ok with only 1 hour of game play, I really don't want to buy another battery.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition 15 Ivy Bridge Laptop ~$955
Core i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz CPU & GeForce GT 650M GPU with 1920x1080 LCD screen.

With the Ivy Bridge CPU you can direct your laptop to use the integrated HD 4000 Graphics GPU to run games while you're away from a power plug.
Intel HD Graphics 4000
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-4000.69168.0.html

You can get a larger capacity 9cell battery if you don't mind the larger size/weight.
battery_l.jpg

That combination has a pretty good chance of getting 2hrs worth of gaming.