I need help finding the right laptop

jeeberharter1

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
1. What is your budget? I would like to keep it under $1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 13.3" seems a little too small for me, so probably 15.6" if possible. I can accept smaller if the specs are ideal.

3. What screen resolution do you want? I've heard bad things about anything above 1080p when it comes to scaling. If someone can reassure me the benefits of a larger resolution, I'm willing to listen. I've seen resolutions higher than 1080p and most SEEM to have a nicer display, so if the pros outweigh the cons, I would definitely look into it.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Not sure what the question is asking.

5. How much battery life do you need? Anything reasonable. It's not much of a huge issue. Most places I'll be using the laptop will have outlets.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I may occasionally play some games like CS:GO, CoD4, DayZ and some small indie games. I already have a gaming desktop if I choose to game heavy.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) The primary purposes for the laptop will be 3D modeling, graphic design, photo and animation rendering, programming and some light game development.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I would prefer a decently sized SSD (maybe 256GB) for the OS and my everyday software (3DS Max, Mudbox, Visual Studio, Photoshop, etc..), and a HDD (about 1TB) for everything else.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. The only places I've shopped at are Newegg, TigerDirect and Amazon. If anyone else could recommend another reputable site, please let me know.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 2 - 3 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc? Doesn't really matter.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. I've owned Mac, HP, Asus and Acer computers. I haven't had a problem with any of them except the Acer, which lacked a little in build quality. I've heard good things about Lenovo and decent things about MSI. I'm a little iffy about Samsung, Sony, Toshiba, and Dell.

13. What country do you live in? USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Screen quality is very important to me, especially color accuracy. A larger amount of RAM would be nice for render speeds. A decent graphics card would be nice, so I can work on projects and test games smoothly. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

TechNotGuy

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
With a budget of $1,500, I would almost always go with MSI because of superb built quality as well as the powerful specs that comes with it. What I like about MSI laptops is their durability. I have a GE60 bought 2 years ago but up to now it is working in perfect condition! I think with $1500, you could get a GS60 which I think is one of the slimmest gaming laptop (although you wont use it primarily for gaming) and also with the 4th gen i7 cpu.

jeeberharter1

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

That's what I was looking at, the GS60. I was also looking at the GS70 for the 17.3" display.