Solved! I need help in figuring out what gaming laptop is affordable.

fire42390

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
Hi everyone I come here to ask you advice and expertise on buying a gaming/desktop replacement laptop but since there's so many brands out there I'm curious to know what everyone's feedback is.

■I'm looking into getting a Intel Core I7 Second Generation Processor.

■A 17 inch LCD Screen At least.

■I expect no less than an 1 hour out of a gaming/desktop replacement laptop for the battery, so it doesn't matter. Unless there is one that has good battery life.

■I would be willing to spend at least $1700 for one.

I've been currently looking at an Asus G74SX-XR1 for $1399.99 from Micro Center. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366053
But I'm trying to see if anyone can give me feedback about there systems or recommendations on other brands.

Thank you guys!

Solution
I think they're great. They have the lowest malfunction rate. And one of the best reputations, great hardware too. The only thing I don't like about it is the thermal compound, like all manufacturers, Asus uses the stock TIM at default... I'd recommend you get your hands on Artic Silver 5, or IC Diamond Pro, and changing the thermal compound, in about a year. Also, there is a calculator button on the G74, which is a bit strange considering it primary purpose is gaming.

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I think they're great. They have the lowest malfunction rate. And one of the best reputations, great hardware too. The only thing I don't like about it is the thermal compound, like all manufacturers, Asus uses the stock TIM at default... I'd recommend you get your hands on Artic Silver 5, or IC Diamond Pro, and changing the thermal compound, in about a year. Also, there is a calculator button on the G74, which is a bit strange considering it primary purpose is gaming.

Solution

fire42390

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
oh I see. If I don't change the thermal compound would that be alright? I'll leave it alone until the warranty runs out. Do you run HP computers? Your name just tells me you know a good amount of HP computers or you love them.

fire42390

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I see. I would of went with hp but there computers are using ati chips that don't have performance like the nvidia cards. But that's my opinion of course. Thank you for your input hpfreak. You made my decision a lot easier on the Asus.