Jan 17, 2015
We installed a new server yesterday and later I couldn't print on my hp photosmart 6520. I googled hp printer and found a live chat line. I had very polite competent service. He made the printer go from needing a cord to a wireless system. He asked if he could look at my computer for problems and he found many. After 1 1/2 hours he had cleaned my computer, and installed Bitdefender for $99.99 plus $200.00 for a 3 year contract for Anitivirus Defender Software for virus and spyware protection. I have the next 7 days to call if I need any other service at no charge. He tried to convince me it would be to my benefit to add $150 to the charge card and be able to call them whenever the computer or me needs more help. He said I would probably have 5-6 times/year problems fixed for free vs $100/time. I asked him if this security system he had installed was so good why will I have more problems. He said he'd come down to $120, then down to $100 and add a second and a 3rd computer and my printer and any wireless gaming systms my grandchildren have. I said no. Then he asked me for my picture. I hung up on him, and he called back and quickly reviewed the benefits of Bitdefender. I said thank you and good night. This morning I'm checking if Bitedefender is a recommended antivirus program and it looks like it is, except I could have gotten it for a lot less money elsewhere. I could hear in the background of where this man was working, men speaking to other customers about their printers and computers and later in this long session, I could hear the same kind of statements regarding how beneficial their program is for so low of a cost.
Today I read some of you have problems with reading email, etc. with Bitdefender. My gut wants to call them and cancel the $200 3 year contract. What would you do?

Solution
Further:

Disable whatever it was he 'installed'.
Do a full virus scan with another (free) product. Avast, AVG, freee BitDefender, Windows Defender...
Do a full malware scan with Spybot and Malwarebytes (both free)

If he calls back, either don't answer, or just say "No thanks" and hang up.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Further:

Disable whatever it was he 'installed'.
Do a full virus scan with another (free) product. Avast, AVG, freee BitDefender, Windows Defender...
Do a full malware scan with Spybot and Malwarebytes (both free)

If he calls back, either don't answer, or just say "No thanks" and hang up.

Solution

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014

USAFRet

Illustrious

After you have been granted 5 Best Answers by other people, you are given the superpower to select BA's on other peoples posts.
Do not do this in the normal course of operation.