I Rode in the First Street-Legal Autonomous Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ludo dog

Estimable
May 11, 2015
If an emergency takes place and the driver cannot take control due to illness the 80,000 pound truck just stops in the highway- I see death and destruction - Daimler better work on that.

What do you think normally happens if the driver has a heart attack or something? I'll wager it's a hell of a lot more dangerous than gracefully stopping.

A large truck parked in the middle of the road is unlikely to be significantly more dangerous than a traffic jam; it's a pain but not really likely to cause accidents beyond people having to merge to go around it.

Astrix_au

Estimable
May 4, 2014
One day computers will make the whole world unemployed... unless you're working in Autonomous industry.

psss3

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015
The widespread adoption will rely on providing the superiority of autonomous vehicle over human drivers. Using a semi makes it a tougher test because their drivers are assumed to be better than average drivers due to licensing requirements.

The critical question will be how well the system passes the assh*le other driver challenge and unanticipatable events like another semi blowing a tire as it completes a passing maneuver. Any fatalities that resulted would set back adoption efforts, no matter how a human driver would do in comparison.

psss3

Estimable
Feb 8, 2015

What do you think normally happens if the driver has a heart attack or something? I'll wager it's a hell of a lot more dangerous than gracefully stopping.

A large truck parked in the middle of the road is unlikely to be significantly more dangerous than a traffic jam; it's a pain but not really likely to cause accidents beyond people having to merge to go around it.

There's no description of how the vehicle monitors the drivers state of consciousness or health. If this part of the system works, expect our cradle to grave Federal government to require such a monitor in ALL new vehicles, autonomous or not ??.

Status
Not open for further replies.