I suspect I've been hacked but I'm not sure

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Andromedat

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014
My husband thinks I'm being paranoid but my gut tells me we have been hacked. I see a red computer id flash in my security tab for internet explorer and as soon as I notice it, it disappears never reappearing again until the next time I'm back online. I'll see the red computer address under the users in security tab again every now and then... I think I've been hacked. Am I being a paranoid spaz?

Solution
You do not need to remove Norton to use Malwarebytes. They will happily co-exist.

You really should consider using another browser (Firefox, Chrome, even Opera) because IE is literally full of holes and exploits.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Locking down your network would prevent unauthorized access. As mentioned, using WPA2 with a strong password would help. You should also set up, in your router, the MAC addresses of allowed devices. This will prevent leeches as well. Be sure you change your router admin password as well and disable external access to the router itself. Further, I would also disable wireless users from being able to administer the router.

Andromedat

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014

I hope it's secure I changed the password and decided to hide the network about two months ago. How often do you change your passwords?

Paul NZ

Admirable

The others are just as bad

Andromedat

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014

Thanks for your suggestions. It looks like RDP is not enabled but I'll definitely look into mac filtering ;)

Reese_Myersss

Estimable
Oct 19, 2014
I had some ad/spyware on my computer a while ago, and it wasn't detected by Norton, malwarebytes or windows defender.
So what i did and i strongly suggest you do, is go through your documents/downloads, think back to when you first started having these issues, and delete any suspicious programs that you don't need or have never heard of.

Most likely this malicious software (If there even is any) is held in one of these programs.

Andromedat

Estimable
Oct 5, 2014

Thanks for the help. I will definitely check out my downloads and remove anything I don't need.

TRENDING THREADS