I think i have a Virus How do i completlely erase my Drives

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

starklet

Estimable
Jul 20, 2014
Hi There,

I believe i have a virus or something on my computer because the other day my computer crashed for no reason and now my computer is very laggy and slow ever since. I have removed most of my programs off my SSD and HDD and backed up images onto a CD. However what is it i do now to make sure my drives are not infected and wont get re-infected after i reinstall windows through windows 10 settings?

I was reading about wiping a HDD which takes 7 passes? which takes 9.7 hours. Do i need to do this on my HDD to make sure any virus is gone? What software do i use to do this? Do i need to do this on my SSD as well?

If someone could give me a simple list in order of what i need to do, i would be extremely appreciative.

For clarification, i have an SSD with my windows installed on as a boot drive, and my HDD which i have uninstalled everything on it (including pictures, programs , music etc).

Thanks very much

Starklet