i think i just killed my 2-hour old thinkpad x200t and i'm going to cry

gajettonoshojo

Estimable
Oct 8, 2014
I just bought a like-new thinkpad X200t with win7 installed from a craiglist seller. Everything was great and then i made the mistake of installing a lenovo bios update from the pre-installed update tool. Now the system won't get past post (hangs on a blinking dash). I can't find any recovery options in the bios menu, and i have no CD drive to reinstall with (i have the win7 CD).

...please help ;_;

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to do a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it up again.
- If it will still not work, try loading BIOS and once in press F9 to reset it to defaults then press F10 to save and exit.
- Next to try if it will still not work is to try reinstalling Windows 7 again.
- Here's a video guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mME9VLT7-xw
- If the same problem will persist, try removing the HDD off the laptop and see if you'll get an error in a black screen.
- If you also have a spare HDD do test it as well.
- Lastly if all these will not work, I would suggest opening the laptop and resetting BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a second then put it back in. (While the laptop completely off)

SabastianU

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009

SabastianU

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Another thing to check is that a BIOS update will often reset the hard drive access method. Check if it's currently set to IDE, AHCI, or RAID and try different settings as it needs to match how it was set when Windows was installed.