Solved! I think I might have killed my laptop battery just don't know how

Feb 20, 2021
I bought a sweet used Acer es1 11,6 to replace my old acer es1 11,6 as portable carry around, and battery was working fine at sellers place.

Once laptop arrived battery was empty. So i hooked it up on my 2.1 lite-ON Acer charger and once it reached 52% it stopped charging. Now laptops shuts down when I unplug. However I made a mistake assuming it's 2.1A like my old laptop, it was in fact 2,37A requirement adapter... Did this kill the battery?

Now battery says charging and icon shows charging but never past 52% and shuts down when unplugged.

I measured voltage all cells show 3,98 volts but battery exit pins (that touch motherboard) show voltage 0,24 volts... any remedy I could try, I am handy somewhat with this stuff?

BatteryCare shows everything ok voltage/capacity/small wear level but charging 0. Any clues what is happening?
** I did try a new compatible charger and battery is now stuck at 52% forever... it seems.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021
Run the battery fully up and down to 0 a few times, see if the system will end up calibrating it better. Also it may simply be that is the max of the battery, you bought it used, batteries are usually the first thing to fail on a laptop.
Thing is It does not hold charge at all, but meter says 52% charging while not charging at all. Mean while it worked fine at sellers workshop 3 days ago. The moment I unplug laptop shuts down. Also won't start on battery. Cells all show adequate voltage but battery power wires that touch motherboard show only 0.24 volts. It should show 12volts. Very confusing :D

Feb 20, 2021
Does the seller have an appropriate charger?
I asked him and he does not, he uses universal charger (tip switcher) to test merchandise 3.5A maximum output of his charger (2,37 required by laptop). I am starting to think he might have killed it with his.
The very design of the battery is odd on one side of PCB there is one cell showing 3.95 volts and connecting onto PCB. On other side two cells interconnected showing 7,9 volts and connecting into PCB.
Perhaps battery PCB is fusing these individual voltages into 11,4v (which is battery spec). Also PCB is showing 0.8 volts output I just can't wrap my head around what is happening :D:D

Like said, current/amperage is not a problem if it "exceeds" the minimum requirement. In your case, get a charger which can provide the wattage and current for your laptop.
If current is too low, it can´t charge or power the laptop correctly under load.

Voltage is the thing which has to be the same. It has to be the voltage the laptop needs, not the battery voltage. The laptop could need 19Volt.

Which charger did you get?

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021
Like said, current/amperage is not a problem if it "exceeds" the minimum requirement. In your case, get a charger which can provide the wattage and current for your laptop.
If current is too low, it can´t charge or power the laptop correctly under load.

Voltage is the thing which has to be the same. It has to be the voltage the laptop needs, not the battery voltage. The laptop could need 19Volt.

Which charger did you get?
I tried multiple chargers 19v Acer brand specific 3,42 amps did not work. Same symptoms. Do you think a cell inside of battery might have died? I read PCB joints with voltage reader and I can't find 12 volts only 4 volts and 8 volts, maybe the side with two cells has one bad cell but because they are all in circulation I get 8 volts (I first assumed two cells ++ -- that's why they showing 8 volts) but what if its one cell on the left 4 volts + 1 (out of two) cells on right 4volts giving 8volts and it should give 12 but because 1 cell is dead i get 8? Battery pack is rated 11.4

please post the complete model number of your Acer ES1 11.6 laptop, e.g. ACER ES1-131-C464

maybe it´s not the original battery as well, so if it can charge more Ah, it would eventually need more wattage from the charger to charge correctly

I think to check if the battery is the problem, you will have to buy a replacement for your laptop. Take a picture from the battery and the the charger, upload to imgur.com and post the link.

Feb 20, 2021
please post the complete model number of your Acer ES1 11.6 laptop, e.g. ACER ES1-131-C464

maybe it´s not the original battery as well, so if it can charge more Ah, it would eventually need more wattage from the charger to charge correctly

I think to check if the battery is the problem, you will have to buy a replacement for your laptop. Take a picture from the battery and the the charger, upload to imgur.com and post the link.
Acer ES1 132 series Model N16Q16 ES1 - 132 - C8VX battery *that I found inside is labeled AC14B13J 3ICP5/57/80 it would appear that most replacer batteries fit this model and countless other models, seems that Acer made them as universal and cheap as possible. What do you think my odds of having motherboard that kills battery chips are?