I tried using the iPad Pro 2024 as a laptop for a week — it went exactly as expected

Mike Mihalik

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
I've been using desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones for a very long time. Currently own and use Android, Windows, MacOS, and iOS.

There was a time that tablets or smartphones could not do what a Mac or Windows browser could. The times they are a changing.

Sorry, 8 prefer my Android and Windows over my iOS and MacOS experiences these days. I go back and forth each day.

This moment, I'm on my Android tablet.

Apple can make their tablets better, and they had better. Looking closely at the iPad Pro and iPad Air. They are premium priced, but the premium experience isn't there yet.

Wake me when the average user will actually value what iOS is delivering. It shouldn't be that hard to elevate the user experience, the processor certainly isn't the week link.

I do wish Apple would open up a little.

PS I also am a long time Chromebook user.

May 20, 2024
"I use Google and its various apps for both work and personal use. On a Mac or Windows laptop, I can have Google applications like Drive, Docs, Calendar and so on all in a single browser window containing tabs for those apps. That’s not possible on iPadOS as each of those programs is a discrete app you need to download."

Out of curiosity, and because I'm considering buying one, what's stopping you doing that in the browser on iPadOS? As far as I'm aware you aren't forced to download the apps any more

Last edited:
Reactions: KalMadda
May 21, 2024
"I use Google and its various apps for both work and personal use. On a Mac or Windows laptop, I can have Google applications like Drive, Docs, Calendar and so on all in a single browser window containing tabs for those apps. That’s not possible on iPadOS as each of those programs is a discrete app you need to download."

Out of curiosity, and because I'm considering buying one, what's stopping you doing that in the browser on iPadOS? As far as I'm aware you aren't forced to download the apps any more
I just replicated this workflow on my iPad Pro. I have all of the Google apps he just named there open in separate tabs on my iPad.

Last edited:
May 21, 2024
“On a Mac or Windows laptop, I can have Google applications like Drive, Docs, Calendar and so on all in a single browser window containing tabs for those apps. That’s not possible on iPadOS as each of those programs is a discrete app you need to download.”

This is false. I replicated this on my iPad, and it’s extremely easy and obviously does work. I opened every web app he mentioned there in separate tabs in a browser window on my iPad. They all are the desktop web app version, and they work perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: adam505
May 21, 2024
It’s an iPad, why is it compared to a laptop? Who asked for this? It’s like doing a car review on a sports car and saying but how does it compare with a truck? No one asked.

Tony Polanco

Commendable
Nov 1, 2021
Hey, all! I wanted to thank some of you for pointing out that I can have Google apps like Drive, Mail, and such as tabs in Chrome. Apologies for getting this wrong. I've amended the article based on your useful feedback.

May 21, 2024
Hey, all! I wanted to thank some of you for pointing out that I can have Google apps like Drive, Mail, and such as tabs in Chrome. Apologies for getting this wrong. I've amended the article based on your useful feedback.
Thank you, sorry I was rude about it. I really appreciate seeing that you amended it! Sometimes I’ve pointed issues out to other authors on other sites, and I just get a bunch of pushback. Thank you for doing this, I respect it when an author is willing to take a second look at his position. 👍🏻

Tony Polanco

Commendable
Nov 1, 2021
Thank you, sorry I was rude about it. I really appreciate seeing that you amended it! Sometimes I’ve pointed issues out to other authors on other sites, and I just get a bunch of pushback. Thank you for doing this, I respect it when an author is willing to take a second look at his position. 👍🏻
I didn't think you were rude, so no worries there! Again, thank you for pointing out my mistake. I don't want to lead anyone astray with bad information so your post (and the others') was a huge help. And in general, it's good for folks to own up to mistakes! Thanks again, friend!

May 21, 2024
I didn't think you were rude, so no worries there! Again, thank you for pointing out my mistake. I don't want to lead anyone astray with bad information so your post (and the others') was a huge help. And in general, it's good for folks to own up to mistakes! Thanks again, friend!
Thanks, I’m glad it didn’t come off as rude to you, that’s a relief. 👍🏻. I also really appreciate your take in this article. I do use an iPad as my primary computer, but I’m a graphic designer and do a lot of artistic/creative workflows, so the iPad with the Apple Pencil is the perfect setup for me for those use cases. I also use Nomad Sculpt and several other 3D apps on my iPad as well. 👍🏻. I can totally understand why some prefer the Mac over the iPad, because on the software side, macOS has more software and is a bit more flexible. I think ideally iPadOS will eventually run Mac apps, and be more flexible as well. I’ve never really wanted macOS on the iPad, because I think iPadOS is better optimized for the iPad, but I think that iPadOS should gain more macOS features and software, especially on the iPad Pro models. 👍🏻