I want a gaming laptop that will last 4 or 5 years and run most games on ultra even upcoming games?

prajwal1010

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
Can these laptops run games on ultra and which one better and worth it to last for long time?
MSI GT80 TITAN SLI-001 OR MSI GT72 2QE DOMINATOR PRO

Specification of both laptops:
I)MSI GT80 TITAN SLI-001
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz to 3.6GHz w/ Turbo Boost Intel® HM87 6MB Cache
GPU: Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M SLI 16GB GDDR5 (8GB each)
RAM: 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz
HDD: 128GB M.2 SATA SSD x 2 RAID 0 + 1TB HDD (7200RPM)
DISPLAY:18.4" Full HD Wide View Anti-Reflective
Ram and HDD capacity can be increased

II)MSI GT72 2QE DOMINATOR PRO
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4710HQ
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M 8GB
RAM: 32GB DDR3L 1600MHz
HDD: 512GB Super RAID 3 + 1TB HDD 7200rpm
DISPLAY:17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) Anti-Glare

Well which u think is worth it? I will play games like Far Cry 4, GTA 5, COD Advance Warefare,etc..
Will double graphic add more fps? I will usually play games on native display but sometime 4K. Please suggest me good one.

Solution
If price does not matter then obviously the top one will perform better... two graphics cards vs one of the same type will add a lot of performance. I doubt the first one even in its current glory will run games at 4k on ultra settings in 4 years from now although I could be wrong.

If price matters in the slightest you are better off buy a new laptop now and then another in two years from now and spending half the cost of the top one on each.

Top top config according to the only info I can find on it is priced at $6,599.

If you spent $2000 on a laptop every 2 years starting now you would have a much more powerful laptop in 2 years and an even more powerful laptop in 4 years than that one would be at that time. You could also recoup...

cosmo77

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If price does not matter then obviously the top one will perform better... two graphics cards vs one of the same type will add a lot of performance. I doubt the first one even in its current glory will run games at 4k on ultra settings in 4 years from now although I could be wrong.

If price matters in the slightest you are better off buy a new laptop now and then another in two years from now and spending half the cost of the top one on each.

Top top config according to the only info I can find on it is priced at $6,599.

If you spent $2000 on a laptop every 2 years starting now you would have a much more powerful laptop in 2 years and an even more powerful laptop in 4 years than that one would be at that time. You could also recoup money by selling the previous laptop for at least a third the purchase price at that time to fund the next one. If your rich beyond means and money dosent matter than buy whatever floats your boat.

...my two cents.

Solution

prajwal1010

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Thanks for your answer. But
Well I m not that rich but good enough to buy these laptops. I won't really change laptops in every 2 years but in 4 years i can change. I m confused on one thing if gt80 laptop after 2 years not become able to play games at high on native display medium ok but if low i need to upgrade GPU for that i need to upgrade both gpu or only one?? And another thing will gt80 get more fps in native display than gt72 or not?? And according to my knowledge gt80 starts from 3300$ to 3900$.Answer me plz.

cosmo77

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are correct on the price more like $3400. If you would like to upgrade the GPU you would need to upgrade both.

To answer your question though, both of those will run games on ultra settings at the native display resolution. The future is really unknown of course. I myself never like spending that much money on the bleeding edge since the cost to benefit ratio goes down as you spend more money. This is why I would rather buy a laptop today for $2000 then in a few years sell it and then buy another one.

Whichever you buy both will run games beautifully. The top one will probably run them &0% faster than the bottom one from a graphics card perspective.

Both of the laptops run the same resolution screen so one screen is not more or less demanding than the other, the size of the display does not matter only the resolution.