I want to cut the cord and use coax from directtv to connect to an antennea. Coax on outside. I need it converted to HDMI. All

burt hole

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
TVs are mounted on the wall with hdmi inside the walls. the hdmi cable runs through walls to a dircttv receiver in the corner of the rooms. I am assuming I need to replace the directtv receiver with a converter to connect the coax with the hdmi. Does such a converter exist?

Solution
Connect main coax from antenna to where 3 way splitter is. Use 2-way splitter to run one cable to a Tuner (as I linked you), and from tuner use the hdmi to connect to main TV. On the other output of 2-way split, run a cable to the 3-way splitter, thus activating the other 3 tv's with antenna via coax. Do note that each time you split, you lose some signal. Take note that on the 3 way splitter, one output has half the loss that the other two have (3.5 db vs 7 db). Use the 3.5 db to feed the tv furthest away, or the one you want to have the most available signal strength.

t53186

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Well... the antenna will bring OTA broadcast TV signals in via coax which needs to be connected to the tuner (antenna port) in each TV, sorry not the hdmi port and no such converter exists

Your easiest solution is going to be to install a coaxial antenna at each TV and disregard the HDMI input. Each display's TV Tuner is through the coaxial input on each TV, so the digital over-the-air (OTA) broadcast needs to be run from there or from a OTA set top box for each TV.

-Wolf sends

burt hole

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016

My directtv runs one cable to a 3way splitter that runs to the living room and two bedrooms. I thought I could run the antenna from the main cable to the splitter and all my tvs would get reception from the antenna.

This is the antenna I have: https://www.amazon.com/Amplified-Digital-Motorized-Rotation-Infrared/dp/B004NQMCDK

The above sounds perfectly normal, UNTIL you threw in HDMI IN-WALL. Where is exactly the HDMI connections? Post some kind of diagram if you are unable to say it with words.

burt hole

Commendable
Nov 28, 2016
I can't find any diagrams that would describe my setup but I hope I can sufficiently explain. Before I begin let me say that only the living room TV has HDMI in the wall. The bedroom TVs are mounted but HDMI is exposed. But now on to the living room:

Imagine you are facing my TV. It is mounted on the main wall of the living room. The wall to the left has a shelf that has my DirectTv receiver, Bluray, and a 2 way HDMI switch. I use the 2 way switch to swap between my receiver and bluray. The 2way switch is connected to the HDMI that runs through the left wall, up through the attic, and to the main wall where the TV is mounted. I had the HDMI cable installed in the wall when I had the house built because I hate the sight of wires and cords. The TV is the only thing on the wall.

All of the the 3 TVs have a coax connected by 1 coax via a 3way splitter. This all comes from the dish. I thought all I would have to do is connect antenna to the main coax and all TVs would get reception through the coax. I will be able to connect the bedroom TVs to coax instead of HDMI. But I do not have any way to connect the living room tv to coax unless I run the cable along the baseboards which I will hate. I was hoping for a way to connect the coax from the antenna to a device to the HDMI to the living room TV.

Anyway, I appreciate the help.

dudio

Admirable
Connect main coax from antenna to where 3 way splitter is. Use 2-way splitter to run one cable to a Tuner (as I linked you), and from tuner use the hdmi to connect to main TV. On the other output of 2-way split, run a cable to the 3-way splitter, thus activating the other 3 tv's with antenna via coax. Do note that each time you split, you lose some signal. Take note that on the 3 way splitter, one output has half the loss that the other two have (3.5 db vs 7 db). Use the 3.5 db to feed the tv furthest away, or the one you want to have the most available signal strength.

Solution