I want to install a second hard drive in my laptop, need some advice.

burstfyre20

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Ok, I have a Asus R500A-RS52 I bought almost a year ago. Its a pretty great laptop despite the fact it doesn't have very good graphics. Surprisingly, the Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics isn't too bad for gaming. I can play skyrim at medium/'high' at 30FPS or better and other games like that. Currently, it has a 750GB 7200RPM hard drive in it and that's fairly big for a laptop but considering the size of my steam library and physcal disk library, its barely enough for steam alone. I want to get a 1TB Hard drive for my games and perhaps a SSD for OS and other programs. I'm not sure how to go about putting a second hard drive in my laptop. My first assumption is that I'd have to get rid of the optical drive but whenever I go into the bios, it says that SATA 0 is my hard drive and SATA 2 is my optical drive. Does that mean that SATA 1 is a second drive bay that's available?

burstfyre20

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I have but I didn't really see anything that looked like a second drive bay. Though, I wasn't really looking for another drive bay when I opened it up a month ago, I was just dusting the heatsink and the fan out. I'll open it up again tomorrow when I have a chance, its kinda late right now.

Syntax42

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
Most laptops don't have room for a second hard drive. You can replace what you have and migrate your OS or reinstall your OS. If you need extra storage for media, get a NAS or a decent external drive.

I highly suggest using a SSD for your OS and games. This may require some uninstalling of older games, but the performance difference is worth it.

burstfyre20

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Mmm...I agree but disagree. If it were a desktop, I'd easily go for a SSD without a second thought because I know I can have multiple drives in it. A laptop is generally limited to one, maybe two if the optical drive is interchangeable. Assuming the optical drive is removable, I'll get a 120/128GB SSD for OS and non-game related applications and a large mechanical drive for all my games and large file storage.

Kris Degruytere

Estimable
Jun 13, 2014
The asus sports a 5400 rpm drive according to the website. I'm still baffeled why companies put these lower running disks in their machines, for a few dollars more of costsavings. Compare the responsiveness between a 5400 and a 7200 disk and you ll know.

The fact that its using sata 0 and sata2 doesnt mean a thing. Its just the way asus has been using the available port connectors. You will not have room for another disk in the chassis.

burstfyre20

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, I did have a 5400RPM drive in it but I took one of the 750GB 7200RPM drives from my desktop. I have four 2.5" drives in my desktop so I wanted to take advantage of them. I got a three 750GB drives from nnewegg awhile back cause they were on sale with free shipping.

Anyways, so that means I'll have to ditch my optical drive if I want a second Hard drive. Where could I get a drive converter? I assume I'll need one.