I want to properly know how to care for a laptop

LoneCzar

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
Hello! I come to this site so often and i finally wanted to say something. I recently bought a fancy flashy new gaming PC from Lenovo. Its such a fine computer that i had a few questions when i was unboxing it. How do you properly take care of a laptop? All steps, do not spare details. i want to know everything i can to extend the life of this computer to as far as it can go without seeing a fast wear and tear on it. So people of Tom's: How do I do this? What do i buy? What actions should i take? How often should each thing be done?

PS: There was no category for my question/topic so i picked one that seemed the most viable. I'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this thread.

Solution
I generally recommend a cooling pad for your laptop because when playing games the CPU and GPU with both generate a lot of heat. Quad core CPUs and relatively powerful GPUs generate more heat than dual core CPUs and relatively weak GPUs. The cooler the laptop is the more likely to last for a long time... and it can also prevent overheating.

As far as software I recommend the following which you can Google for:

1. Avast! Free Antivirus - The name says it all.

2. Malwarebyte Anti-malware - Another precaution to help prevent virus and malware infections.

3. CCleaner - Useful utility to delete orphaned Windows Registry keys that could slow down Windows. It can also be used to delete various temporary files that are created when using...
I generally recommend a cooling pad for your laptop because when playing games the CPU and GPU with both generate a lot of heat. Quad core CPUs and relatively powerful GPUs generate more heat than dual core CPUs and relatively weak GPUs. The cooler the laptop is the more likely to last for a long time... and it can also prevent overheating.

As far as software I recommend the following which you can Google for:

1. Avast! Free Antivirus - The name says it all.

2. Malwarebyte Anti-malware - Another precaution to help prevent virus and malware infections.

3. CCleaner - Useful utility to delete orphaned Windows Registry keys that could slow down Windows. It can also be used to delete various temporary files that are created when using any computer.

4. Defraggler - Defragments that hard drive to improve the time it takes to open programs. Over time files tends to become fragmented on the hard drive. Do not use on a SSD (solid state drive) since it can reduce a SSD's lifespan.

5. Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - This allows you to make a backup of the hard drive or SSD on to another hard drive or SSD. Can be used to backup the C: drive so if you get a virus you can return the C: drive to an earlier state before the laptop got infected.

Solution