I was reading through the answers to a question that is troubling me, but everybody seems to be making up their own questions:

Arismet

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
I have a Gigabyte mobo with f4 BIOS; the cpu only works with f4+ BIOS, it is completely dead on f1 BIOS. How do I change the battery without resetting BIOS. Is it ok to leave the power on?

By the way; it's a PC but should be same.

Solution
Changing the battery does not change the BIOS version. If you have F4 loaded, it will remain if you change the battery.
The only way to change BIOS versions is to re-flash the ROM chips.

And yes, leaving the pc on all the time is good, but not when changing the battery. You need to power down for that.

Petrossa

Honorable
Jan 30, 2014
Changing the battery does not change the BIOS version. If you have F4 loaded, it will remain if you change the battery.
The only way to change BIOS versions is to re-flash the ROM chips.

And yes, leaving the pc on all the time is good, but not when changing the battery. You need to power down for that.

Solution

Arismet

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

Cheers; can't wear plastic gloves either. I would have done it though because the cpu had to be removed to update BIOS and the cooler was a fit one time only type not even made anymore. I think I might have sort of glued it down to the mobo. But it was a long time ago.

RCFProd

Honorable
Herald
Dec 8, 2013

And unplug everything, switch off the PSU but leave the power supply cable connected.

Be sure u know the difference between BIOS and CMOS. Taking out the battery wipes CMOS, BIOS is in non-volatile memory and does not rely on battery. As others mentioned, better completely power down before unplugging anything.