I Watched Masters Golf in 3D

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I would just like to point out, it is not the first 3D sports broadcast. They ve showed the six nations and barclays premier league in 3D for a few months now in the UK.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Im skeptical about 3D (having tired it in uni and feeling sick after 5mins plus the headache) but the advantages with the slopes does interest me. I noticed the bunkers look very flat as well until some one is standing in one and all you can see is his neck. Rugby is another sport I'd love to see this in due to the high tv angle it can be hard to judge the flight of the ball until someone touches it.Very good report, hopefully we'll see the technology take off.

rockruler

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I think 3D sporting broadcasts are going to become the norm within a few years... especially once they've perfected the tech to not have to wear glasses (still a few years off). As the tech matures the cameras will get better and so will the glasses. This season cricket matches will be broadcast in 3D along with the World Cup. It will be interesting to see how those shape up as well.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
there is no way this will replace SD or HDTV in the future. they already shot themselves in the foot for previewing 3DTV technology where you do not need the glasses. anyone who buys a 3DTV now is just plain stupid or wants one as a collectors item.

G

Some more observations on the 3D shoot of the Masters.http://realvision.ae/blog/2010/04/5-ways-and-then-some-to-shoot-better-3d-for-sports-and-golf/

Discussion of what could be improved in Camera framing, style and technicalities such as Vertical misalignment of camera rig.

steiner666

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
I watched some of it and was thoroughly unimpressed. The low resolution of the stream just ruined the experience. A lot of the times it seems as if the two images (one for each eye) would blur together in pixelated blockyness. Only when things got really close was teh separation enough to really get a sense of depth. For this to be enjoyable it would at LEAST need to be 720p. Also, the streaming (even after initial broadcast, when it was being looped) wasnt very smooth for me. It would play ok for maybe a minute and then turn into a slide show. The problem wasnt with my connection either, as it was using less than 1Mb of my 20.

jd91651

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
"I watched golf in 3D"

I can top that. I watched paint dry in 3D.
ok, ok the article was about 3d setup but I couldn't resist.

G

Well, going against the grain here I have to say that golf and college football have both been fantastic in 3D! Baseball less so- it's very hard to pick up the ball. I've enjoyed everything I've watched so far and I only wish they'd start producing the blu-rays too. I'm thoroughly sold on the technology- no sickness or dizziness that I hear about and with high def TV's golf is just incredibly rendered. Can't wait for more thorough coverage- the US Open only had two holes in 3D, but Wow! You see every contour on the greens. More, more, more!!!

onetechnoguy

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Autostereoscopic (glasses-free) 3D displays are in the market now. The tech is not years away. In addition one company, 3DFusion is showing live 3D broadcast of the Masters this year, on their TVs at the golf event. LG, Sony, and Toshiba also showcased their glasses-free TVs at CES 2011. However, none of them are shipping now... (And frankly, none of them have solid tech ready for market yet.) LG claims that they will have product shipping (4K displays with glasses-free 3D) by Q1 2012. But my hat's off to 3DFusion. Their stuff is here now and it's truly like looking thru a window. They also have tech that does 2D to 3D conversion in real time. Frankly, 3Dfusion's stuff was amazing to see.

G

Or Nintendo 3DS. No need for glasses and works great when you find that sweet spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.