I watched the Last of Us on Apple Vision Pro — and it was a new level of heartbreaking

Fox Tread3

Great
Jun 19, 2023
February 28, 2024 - I find the subject of this article very interesting. I am of a generation that when watching TV, no talking was allowed "while the show is on." Normal life resumed during the commercial breaks. I have been led to believe that currently, people spend a lot of time talking with others while watching the same film or show. Actually, I used to talk on the telephone with my good friend who lived in another city. While we watched the same football games together. I have to wonder how people that are accustomed to chatting with others, while watching something. Will adjust to the "isolation" of viewing things using a Vision Pro. Personally, since I live alone, I would welcome the feeling of being immersed into what I am watching. This also brings into question of how will people that want to watch the same thing at the same time manage it? Will everyone have to have their own Vision Pro and stop from time to time. To discuss what they are watching together, but separately? Hmmm..🤔😊

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
February 28, 2024 - I find the subject of this article very interesting. I am of a generation that when watching TV, no talking was allowed "while the show is on." Normal life resumed during the commercial breaks. I have been led to believe that currently, people spend a lot of time talking with others while watching the same film or show. Actually, I used to talk on the telephone with my good friend who lived in another city. While we watched the same football games together. I have to wonder how people that are accustomed to chatting with others, while watching something. Will adjust to the "isolation" of viewing things using a Vision Pro. Personally, since I live alone, I would welcome the feeling of being immersed into what I am watching. This also brings into question of how will people that want to watch the same thing at the same time manage it? Will everyone have to have their own Vision Pro and stop from time to time. To discuss what they are watching together, but separately? Hmmm..🤔😊
Thanks for your comment. It's a good question about what happens going forward. If devices like Vision Pro get more affordable it's conceivable the family could watch the same thing at the same time and chat using their Personas. Though that would be weird if they're in the same room :)

Feb 29, 2024
Oh look - another review of the Apple Vision Pro from someone with absolutely no knowledge of VR. Yes, it can be really awesome sitting in your living room and being in an entirely different virtual environment. I've been doing that with my Quest Go and each of the Quests (1, 2, and 3). There should be a disclaimer on these things at the beginning. It feels dishonest otherwise, like they are trying to convince people who truly have no knowledge of VR that this is something new and revolutionary that you need to have an Apple Vision Pro to experience.

Feb 29, 2024
Thanks for your comment. It's a good question about what happens going forward. If devices like Vision Pro get more affordable it's conceivable the family could watch the same thing at the same time and chat using their Personas. Though that would be weird if they're in the same room :)
Mark, I'm guessing that you have no experience with Virtual Reality until now. The exact experience being described in this article has been included in every VR headset since the release of the Oculus Go when Facebook first acquired the company nearly a decade ago. And even when new, the GO ran $200. It was designed specifically for video consumption just like this.

Feb 29, 2024
I think the review and question of isolation is fine in general, but it's wierd that these questions haven't been asked by the same people 10.years ago. I have to some extend agree with bluesmessiah on this..
If Apple makes a more affordable headset down the line, guess what it would be.. The quest series.
This is the iPhone saga all over again of course, so no reason to point it out really, but as a reviewer I think the standards have to be a little higher than normal. It is very clear that the reviewer probably only sees tech if it's made by Apple, otherwise the review would not have called this a revolution.

I get that people have preferences and opinions, I absolutely do to. But the general close minded approach to tech in general (only if made by apple), is well, scary I would say.. As a reviewer at least be curious about tech in general. This is not applesguide.com hint hint :)

Apple vision pro is not a revolution by any means or standards. It's impressive hardware for sure, but that has more to do with the price tag than it has innovation. I am sorry but the quest 3 doesn't have the same hardware or the same eco system, but my God it is the exact same thing packed into a cheaper package to cater to a broader audience.

I am really impressed by the avp hardware and would so love to have the same hardware in my vr headset, but not at that price point for me. Everything above (I think) 2000 dollars would begin to feel stupid, as vr in general doesn't have the mass adoption it could have yet, and therefore is lacking content and quality in general.

Feb 29, 2024
I think the review and question of isolation is fine in general, but it's wierd that these questions haven't been asked by the same people 10.years ago. I have to some extend agree with bluesmessiah on this..
If Apple makes a more affordable headset down the line, guess what it would be.. The quest series.
This is the iPhone saga all over again of course, so no reason to point it out really, but as a reviewer I think the standards have to be a little higher than normal. It is very clear that the reviewer probably only sees tech if it's made by Apple, otherwise the review would not have called this a revolution.

I get that people have preferences and opinions, I absolutely do to. But the general close minded approach to tech in general (only if made by apple), is well, scary I would say.. As a reviewer at least be curious about tech in general. This is not applesguide.com hint hint :)

Apple vision pro is not a revolution by any means or standards. It's impressive hardware for sure, but that has more to do with the price tag than it has innovation. I am sorry but the quest 3 doesn't have the same hardware or the same eco system, but my God it is the exact same thing packed into a cheaper package to cater to a broader audience.

I am really impressed by the avp hardware and would so love to have the same hardware in my vr headset, but not at that price point for me. Everything above (I think) 2000 dollars would begin to feel stupid, as vr in general doesn't have the mass adoption it could have yet, and therefore is lacking content and quality in general.
It's just been bizarre to me to watch. There are tech reviewers I have trusted and have looked to for years who just seem to suddenly have amnesia. It's not just he "immersive theater" thing - but other things people have been doing in VR for years that suddenly are being reported for the Vision Pro as if they are exclusive. I view the AVP as an auto show Concept Car, only they never actually release the Concept Cars to the public. Tim Cook threw everything they had into this headset knowing that anything that comes next will only include some of these features. But it's a great Concept Car.

You mentioned the iPHone all over again - but there is a major difference and it's why I think you see all these strange reviews. That is, the iPhone did something revolutionary that no other could do at that time - it accessed the full internet. Before then even the Blackberry could only use certain sites. Even beyond the full touch screen and phone/ipod/internet device, it did provide something that would be very useful to the average user that couldn't be had anywhere else. And it was only $200 more than the Blackberry Pearl (not outrageously more than the nearest competitor as I see many saying. AND they reduced the price by $200 just 2 months into the lifespan after the initial burst in sales dried up).

This is the difference between Tim Cook and Steve Jobs - Steve CREATED, Tim IMPROVES. Right now, AVPs big advantage for most users is the 'spatial computing" anchors. However, Meta has been releasing more and more previews of their own version of this to be released any day now. The Vision Pro definitely offers a more vivid image for those with the visual acuity to appreciate that level of definition, but I'm just not seeing "here's what the Vision Pro can do that you absolutely won't be able to do on another system", and that is a problem.

That is also why Apple Marketing photoshopped every ad for the Vision Pro to make it look like the one thing that they were focused on PRE-Launch - the front facing OLED - actually worked very impressively. Once it released and everyone picked up on "hey, you have to be exactly in front of the person wearing the headset to see it", we saw the shift to these other things that aren't really new, just a little higher resolution.