I wore the Dyson Zone headphones on a long flight — it was pretty much a disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2023
"airplane air" is about the farthest possible thing from stale. the engine compressors are pumping in a huge volume of mega fresh air from the upper atmosphere during the whole flight, enabling you to breathe at high altitudes.

Reactions: Djplonghead

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I wore Dyson Zone air-purifying and noise-cancelling headphones on a long flight. Let's just say it didn't go as planned.

I wore the Dyson Zone headphones on a long flight — it was pretty much a disaster : Read more
A thousand bucks for a so-so gimmick? I've a simpler solution. Reach up to the air vents and adjust one so it blows on your face. Not only will this help block noise, it will also blow the nasties away and lessen the effects of changing air pressure. I've done this for decades and it helps tremendously.

May 28, 2023
"airplane air" is about the farthest possible thing from stale. the engine compressors are pumping in a huge volume of mega fresh air from the upper atmosphere during the whole flight, enabling you to breathe at high altitudes.
Some people don't like dry, relatively low pressure jet cabin air. I live at 8,600 feet above sea level. I love airplane air. When we take off from Bogotá El Dorado airport the pressure begins to go up and the air gets cleaner too!

May 28, 2023
Exactly, my family was on a 4 hour flight and we were sitting right behind a captain. As I am interested in mechanics (this was when I was at the age of 10, but I still like mechanics to this day) he gladly explained a few things about planes, one being air; he explained that the air first passed through the jets, which as you should know are very hot and therefore kill all bacteria, before entering massive heat exchangers/ air conditioners under the floor in the vicinity of the wings. The entire cabin air volume is cycled fully in a matter of minutes- between 15 and 30 cycles per hour. Also more than 50% of that fresh air is passed through HEPA filters on modern aircraft.

May 28, 2023
“Stale” plane air…

My family was on a 4 hour flight and we were sitting right behind a captain. As I am interested in mechanics (this was when I was at the age of 10, but I still like mechanics to this day) he gladly explained a few things about planes, one being air; he explained that the air first passed through the jets, which as you should know are very hot and therefore kill all bacteria, before entering massive heat exchangers/ air conditioners under the floor in the vicinity of the wings. The entire cabin air volume is cycled fully in a matter of minutes- between 15 and 30 cycles per hour. Also more than 50% of that fresh air is passed through HEPA filters on modern aircraft.

A “struggle”…

If you have trouble lifting headphones that are less than 2 pounds out of a bag that is absurd…
Regarding battery, complaining about being plugged in to a cable is about the most lazy thing you could say about this experience. Furthermore, your options where not to use just sound, or plug it in. You could of taken the whole thing off and let in charged, then put in your AirPods because you have both an iPad and an iPhone, so it would only be logical to have AirPods. Once you got more battery on the headphones you could unplug them and wear them without “being forced to” complain about a SINGLE cable. How horrible…

Finally, your absence of stares (and maybe logical sense).

It’s a crappy pair of headphones with a stupid plastic mask type guard covering your precious mouth. No-one cares except the old man of Dyson who needs to listen to music while breathing “fresh air.”

I understand the concept and it has a future. People who have allergies or other conditions where they need constant fresh air.
The impeller is super cool but in terms of its price tag, build quality, and aim in the consumer segment- I think it is unlikely to do well for our future.

May 28, 2023
Some people don't like dry, relatively low pressure jet cabin air. I live at 8,600 feet above sea level. I love airplane air. When we take off from Bogotá El Dorado airport the pressure begins to go up and the air gets cleaner too!
Well Dyson headset isn’t doing anything to solve that, especially the dry air part.

May 29, 2023
" (you can also check the battery status of the headphones on your iPhone, too)." Why do a lot of Americans think everybody has an Iphone? Just say smartphone pls it suffices

May 29, 2023
If you really thought the headphone would be a "major improvement" for stale airplane air and already know airplane air is filtered...

I'd call that naïeve, good thing people didn't stare as that truly is my biggest issue out the streets (sarcasm).

If you bought a 1k headphone, you just did it to rain money on something completely useless as we humans seem to do left and right. There is no excuse for any headphone to cost much more than 100 bux, neodymium drivers are dirt cheap and all produce great sound. Humans only notice the attenuation in the sound reproduction caused by external factors like the volume of air they are moving.

Even switching to different compression or EQ will persuade humans something is better or worse for the wrong reasons.

Jun 8, 2023
A cheap N95 face musk would provide better results than this overpriced gadget blowing slightly filtered air at your face while drying out your mucous membranes and giving no safety due to big air gaps and missing certifications.

Sadly this review was totally biased and blindly believing marketing terms without checking the science.

As a positive example of an informed review of the product check out the video by YouTuber Marques Brownlee.

Status
Not open for further replies.