i3 4010 or i5 for Laptop

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
HI guys, ive managed to shortlist my laptop choices to the Lenovo brand of Flex 14 (inch) laptops in the Rs 40,000 ($500) to Rs 65,000 ($800) range.

My only problem is whether to go for an i3 or i5 because I read somewhere the i5 is better at power usage? is this true? Does it make a huge difference to choose and i5 over an i3 if other features are constant such as:

-500GB HDD
8GB SSD (boot drive)
-14in touch screen
-backlit keyboard
-4GB RAM (1600)
-4 cell Li Ion battery
-Intel HD Graphics 4400
-1.9 Kgs

I am not so keen on the advantage of 'flipping' the screen to suit a tablet as I doubt i'll use that much anyway and specially want to resist the use of a laptop with a dedicated GPU as I need to concentrate on studies and the temptation to d/l games would be too great if I know I have a laptop that can play them! So, yeah- I'm keen on sticking to an inbuilt graphics processor as it will also bring down my cost and reduce power consumption im guessing?

Can anyone pls advs on whether its necc to go in for the i5 vs the i3 or will the i3 be just as well for the Lenovo? Tks!

Solution

randomhkkid

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012

Definitely the i5 if you can afford it. Battery life may be slightly improved as the 'race to sleep' means that average power consumption can be lower. The only scenario where the i5 would use more power is gaming but as you say you won't be so no problems there.

Solution