i5-6300hq laptop without high-end gpu

Treen

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hi, im planning on buying a new laptop, mainly for work. What i'm looking for is a skylake HQ CPU. Because of my budget, i would prefer the i5-6300HQ. What i definetly do not want, is to pay money for a superb GPU. I'm looking for a laptop with no dedicated gpu, or at most, something like GeForce 940M.

Sadly, i'm not able to find any laptops with this high-end cpu without a high-end gpu. Could anyone here help me to find some models? I'm looking for dell/lenovo/asus.

Solution
Been using an i7 quad on my laptop (old one). 5 years so far and still I find it to feel better when doing 3-4 minor things at the same time (light game like WOW, Skype, browsing). Generally unless you are planning on doing extremely light work, then I would go even for an i5-6200u, the i7 dual core is just not worth it, either i5 or i7quad. Same goes for i5 quad. Personally I'd say if you get an i7 quad then it can easily last you for the next 5-6 years (hey mine is 5years old and it does not plan on dying soon hopefully), so in that perspective, the few bucks more are completely worth it.

Treen

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015

Oh, thats exactly what i did not want to hear :). From your experience (or anyone elses), can we expect these "non-high-end-gpu" models to be released in the future? Or are manufacturers simply gonna stick with the high-end + high-end policy?

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Actually, they usually release high end cpus with low end gpus, problem is that the prices are similar/almost same as high end cpu + higher end gpu... They just decided to stop delivering quad cores i-series to cheaper laptops.

Treen

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Thats a shame.. Anyway, thank you for your response. I'm gonna wait a bit if someone would have something to say to this topic, and than im gonna mark your answer as the solution

Treen

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Barebones are sadly almost completly unaccesible in my country. I've started to think about a simple U version of skylake.. 6200U or 6600U. Offers are still limited here, since it's a brand new architecture, but more models are beeing added every day. I mostly care about the single-threaded performance.

According to the benchmarks i could find on the internet, the difference between i5-6200u and i7-6700hq (models with the i7 costs around 1.5 times as much as the ones with the i5) is only around 10-15%, while the 6600U is almost identical in a single-threaded capabilities to the 6700hq. Is there anyone who could physically benchmark those 3 cpus?

I would also like to point out, that prices in my country are very different from official / amazon world-wide prices, so it would be very hard for anyone to suggest a specific laptop.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Been using an i7 quad on my laptop (old one). 5 years so far and still I find it to feel better when doing 3-4 minor things at the same time (light game like WOW, Skype, browsing). Generally unless you are planning on doing extremely light work, then I would go even for an i5-6200u, the i7 dual core is just not worth it, either i5 or i7quad. Same goes for i5 quad. Personally I'd say if you get an i7 quad then it can easily last you for the next 5-6 years (hey mine is 5years old and it does not plan on dying soon hopefully), so in that perspective, the few bucks more are completely worth it.

Solution