i5 8400 desktop versus I5-8250U laptop real world performance difference

Bruno Vincent

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I just build a desktop with an i5 8400 and 16 gigs of ram.

I find it's too big and not what I need, and it's not even THAT much faster than my old laptop( with 6 gigs of ram) and super old CPU (pentium b950), 300% slower according to benchmarks...

But in reality , the desktop is only faster if I open 200 browser tabs, adobe illustrator, photoshop and tons of things at the same time.

For normal use the old laptop feels just as fast, mind you the old laptop has an SSD and the desktop a HDD. But the difference feels like about 10-20% in real life.

So basically my question is.

With a brand new Lenovo laptop with I5-8250U with SSD, will it be kind of close to desktop with i5 8400 with SSD?

Bruno Vincent

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Been working with both, seems about the same, I'm a web designer, adobe illustrator, xampp, difference doesn't seem to be worth it to loose my mobility, I live in Thailand and travel, big PC is too much baggage for me, doesn't seem to have much benefit except for knowing you have a powerful machine, a little like a fast car on a small road?

I don't game ever either, and I don't crunch numbers or do video editing but might in the future.

The i5 8250u seems on par with i5 7300hq and more power than i7 7500u right?

I mean, how could people work 3 years ago? Seems like the power race never ends but power demand for software mostly remains the same?

Bruno Vincent

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
Yep, I think a lot of this speed race is fueled by the industry.

Why was an engineer ok with an i7 7500 3 months ago, and now suddenly, his laptop is too slow?

Did the software he uses change also to require faster CPU?

I'm tired of looking at benchmarks and fretting over options!

New laptop is in the mail, no matter what the 1000's benchmarks say, it's a a lenovo with i5 8250u, will have 8 gigs or ram and double SSD

https://online.advice.co.th/product/notebook/notebook-lenovo/notebook-lenovo-ideapad320s-81bn002wta-gray-?utm_source=rtbhouse&utm_medium=retargeting&utm_campaign=rtbhouse-retargeting

I'm sure this will be fine;)