Solved! I5 Laptop Temp Readings

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hello I just bought a Dell laptop with a i5 processor I just noticed that at idle there about a 6c difference in temp between the two cores at idle with zero load seems like they should both be the same is this something I should be concerned about. Thanks for your help.

Tom j.

Solution
Well page 56 only gives info about temperatures, it doesn't mention anything about cores having such variations in temperature. But Dell usually doesn't talk crap, and if the technician & the supervisor said it was all good, then I guess it's all good. Try and use it, put it under load, if it has to die it will die (and then you get warranty anyway). If it works perfectly, then enjoy your laptop! :)

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Hmm 6°C is an excessive difference - usually they vary by a couple degrees at most. There might be something wrong with one core, like the thermal paste was not applied properly on one of them - just enough to make it run a bit hotter. I recommend having your laptop checked before your core dies on you.

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
That's what I was thinking that the paste might not have been applied evenly, I actually had a tech come out under warranty to replace the motherboard because of a overheating problem. I asked him to apply the Arctic Silver I just bought for this purpose, hmmm so you think this is something I should be concerned about, maybe he'll have to come back to reapply it?? This computer is under 2 weeks old second one that had this problem that's why they sent a tech out under warrenty. Whats your suggestion what would you suggest. Thanks

Tom j.

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Maybe he screwed up with the thermal paste, it's a possibility, a big one now that you mention your overheating problems. I would suggest calling another tech (not the same one) and ask him to check if the thermal paste is well applied. Meanwhile avoid working on the laptop, because if it is the thermal paste it is possible the CPU core will go crazy hot and die much quicker than you thought.

Random question: did you see if he properly removed the old stock thermal grease before applying the Arctic Silver?

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Hi I first want to thank you for your concern, well I called the tech up after posting that last form response and he assured me it was very meticulous abut applying the past I then called Dell tech 24/7 and the supervisor looked it up and confirmed that this is perfectly normal has something to do with the various resting states, then I spoke to a guy that has the same computer and he confirmed that there was an even larger difference between his with a zero load. The supervisor sent me a Intel link to the PDF file that explains it see blow, look up page 56. Tell me what you think Thanks!!

Tom j.

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/322812.pdf

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Well page 56 only gives info about temperatures, it doesn't mention anything about cores having such variations in temperature. But Dell usually doesn't talk crap, and if the technician & the supervisor said it was all good, then I guess it's all good. Try and use it, put it under load, if it has to die it will die (and then you get warranty anyway). If it works perfectly, then enjoy your laptop! :)

Solution

curt31

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Hay thanks forgot to mention he did remove the other paste I bought a special kit from Arctic Silver that removes the old paste and I saw him actually removing it. Let me look at that article again he read it to me over the phone and they said a temperature difference of up to 6 or 7c I can't remember is perfectly normal. Well one good thing I have a two year extended warranty from the factory this is one of those BB Blue Label builds, and this covers all the hardware. Love this machine it's just so much faster then my old laptop actually faster then my desktop but I'm building a AMD 6 core system so that one will well I won't say smoke my i5 mobile but I assume it will be significantly faster. Thanks

Tom j.