Question Laptop Liquid Damage

Oct 30, 2023
I spilled soda on my laptop, I quickly unplugged it and used a hair dryer and towel to dry it. I also used a wet wipe to lean the keyboard afterwards. I turned it on again and the computer and keyboard seemed to still work.

I turned it off again, completely turning it off by holding the power button on the keyboard, however now it no longer turns on again. The keyboard and bottom of the laptop where the spill reached seems to be dry and for the most part no longer sticky. After around a half hour after the spill, I plugged it back in and left it sit overnight. In the morning it still won’t turn on.

I’m not sure if this is one of those things that will eventually return to normal with time, I already let it sit overnight but should I just wait longer? Or is this just normal behavior? Is there anything else i should do now or should I just wait it out? I’m also confused on why it worked fine after the spill, but then seemingly started having issues after I turned it completely off, does that mean anything? The computer was on during the spill, I believe I turned it off quickly afterwards although I don’t think it was completely off at the time, however I did unplug it and dry it almost immediately.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
It is very possible that you shorted the system and damaged it permanently. Keep in mind, that even unplugging isn't enough with a laptop since a battery is also in use and applying power to the system.

Have you actually opened the system so that you can see its innards?

Mar 13, 2023
Account1,

You, understandably would have no reason to know that all carbonated beverages are mildly acidic. :unsure: Therefore is not promptly & carefully removed (cleaned) the circuit traces can be damaged.

I cannot tell you the problem is irreparable, NOR that it can be corrected. As far as I know, a complete disassembly and inspection could provide the answer you seek/need.

GOOD luck, remain WELL, and be SAFE!

Oct 30, 2023
It is very possible that you shorted the system and damaged it permanently. Keep in mind, that even unplugging isn't enough with a laptop since a battery is also in use and applying power to the system.

Have you actually opened the system so that you can see its innards?
I would if I could