i5 Skylake with an Nvidia 950m vs i5 Kabylake with a 940mx

GDNY

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Looking for a lower end laptop for editing video, Adobe graphics, 3D modeling and animation and Unity Engine development. I am looking at a few Acer laptops and am trying to choose between an i5 Skylake with a 950m and i5 Kabylake with a 940mx. The Kabylake is the faster chip and the 950 is the more powerful gpu. But out of the units I am looking into, I have to make a choice and want the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions, insight or sources are appreciated.

Solution
For playing games go for the GTX 950m. The performance difference between 6th and 7th gen Intel CPUs is relatively minor. The is a significant enough performance difference between the GTX 950m and 940mx where the laptop with the GTX 950m will easily give better game performance.

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
kabylake only offers more power savings.. the speed increase is very minor. On the other hand the 950 will be a noticeable improvement in games. Also the power savings isn't huge..skylake was a power savings over haswell, too.

For playing games go for the GTX 950m. The performance difference between 6th and 7th gen Intel CPUs is relatively minor. The is a significant enough performance difference between the GTX 950m and 940mx where the laptop with the GTX 950m will easily give better game performance.

Solution

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The CPUs are almost the same. The GPUs are not. A 950M is a real gaming graphics card IF it has GDDR5. What kind of memory do both graphics cards use? It's not worth buying a discrete GPU that doesn't use GDDR5.