Solved! i7 2670QM throttling

Jan 9, 2019
hi, I recently bought notebook (used market)(acer 5750g with 8G ram) with i7 2670QM, it was at 80C idle and max 1.8GHz-2.2GHZ at 96C, so i cleaned it, change thermal paste and now it is on 70C idle and constantly at 2.2 but when i run anything (chrome, youtube etc. ) its like 80-90C and than throttling to 0.786GHz over and over again. is there any way to undervoltage the i7 ?

Solution
80 degrees C is very high for an idle processor state. Around 50C is reportedly 'normal' for that processor. Around 80C is probably right for gaming.

1# I would first check your Windows Power Options - Start > Control panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings

Extend the option 'Processor power management' and make sure they read exactly as I have mentioned below:

- Minimum processor state is at '5%'

- 'System cooling policy' is set to 'Active' for Battery and Plugged-in. If it says 'Passive', then the system is not using the laptops fan to cool the processor

- Maximum processor state is at '100%'

Once done (if you needed to change any setting), select 'Apply', then 'Ok'...

Seaweed Monster

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
80 degrees C is very high for an idle processor state. Around 50C is reportedly 'normal' for that processor. Around 80C is probably right for gaming.

1# I would first check your Windows Power Options - Start > Control panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings

Extend the option 'Processor power management' and make sure they read exactly as I have mentioned below:

- Minimum processor state is at '5%'

- 'System cooling policy' is set to 'Active' for Battery and Plugged-in. If it says 'Passive', then the system is not using the laptops fan to cool the processor

- Maximum processor state is at '100%'

Once done (if you needed to change any setting), select 'Apply', then 'Ok'. It might ask you to restart your computer. Follow that instructions and once rebooted, check tempertures again.

2# If that does not solve your problems. Ensure the processor heatsink and the cooling fan is seated correctly to the processor. Also, ensure you have used only a half a pea size worth of thermal paste. Applying too much can actually increase temperatures. Finally, use a can of compressed air to blow out the heatsink and fan for the processor. A build up of dust can cause the laptops cooling to become ineffective.

Hope this helps.

Solution