Question MSI GL75-9SD (Very high CPU temps, very low GPU temps?)

Jul 25, 2022
Hello,

I have an MSI GL75-9sd with the following specs:
i7-9750h
GTX 1660 ti
16gb ddr4
1080p 144hz screen

I've noticed very high temperatures under load, to the point where it's almost constantly throttling the CPU while gaming. I play 'CPU intensive' games such as PUBG, League of Legends and so on...

I ran an AIDA64 stress test on the CPU and all 6 cores hit 100 degrees, while being on average 93-97c for the full 15 minute test.
I ran a FurMark stress test on the GPU and it never hit above 68 degrees, and I believe FurMark is known for excessively heating up the GPU. (I guess this is just good news and I shouldn't think too much into it)

My question is as follows... Why is my CPU hitting such high temperatures and constantly throttling under load, and still hitting mid 80's while browsing YouTube with a few chrome tabs open? I've already opened up the laptop to verify all fans are working and cleaned it out nicely. I've formatted the entire laptop with no difference whatsoever. Do you think a repaste is a good idea or am I wasting my time? I have a new sealed tube of MX-4 paste.

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
Why is my CPU hitting such high temperatures and constantly throttling under load, and still hitting mid 80's while browsing YouTube with a few chrome tabs open?

Laptop CPUs get hot. Laptops always have poor cooling. 9750H is no exception. My ZBook 17 G2 has an old 4810QM and still hits 90c+. The 9750H is "rated" at 45W, but that's for max non-turbo. It probably exceeds 70W under turbo and I bet that your laptop's cooler was specifically designed for 45W.

For example, my ZBook was only designed for 45W CPUs, but my 4810QM can hit 78W when overclocked.

If you are blocking the vents AT ALL it will cause severe issues to the thermals.

I ran a FurMark stress test on the GPU and it never hit above 68 degrees,

Most manufacturers prioritize GPU thermals for some reason. ZBook GPU (quadro P4200) stays nice and cool even in the summer heat (even in the 32c weather here).

I don't think there's anything wrong with your CPU. I think that Intel CPUs just run hot.

Download Intel XTU and you can probably tune all sorts of stuff like voltage, undervolting and watt limits can help with thermals. My 4810QM drops down to 70-80 when enforcing a 40W limit at 4.2GHz.